Camping with the Jerk

Start from the beginning

"Looks like you need some help,” a female voice said from my right. I turned to look at her and smiled gratefully as she took my bag for me.

“Thank you.”

She grinned in return and went with me to the administrative cabin, where we were to find out our rooms and roommates. We stepped into the small cabin and I pretended not to know my mom as she did the same for me. I looked for my name in the list, and found I was in cabin 17. Before she could greet my mother, I headed out, with her following behind me. Maddie relaxed in my arms.

“I’m Maya, by the way,” the girl said, flipping her blonde hair out of her face and holding a hand out.

I took her hand and nodded. “I’m Jessica. Jess for short.”

“And who’s this cutey?” she asked, grinning widely at Maddie.

“This is Maddie. My sister.”

Maddie held out her hand to shake, and smiled a broad, toothy smile.

“How old is she?” Maya asked.

“Two.” She led me in the direction of all the cabins, glancing at me.

“Which cabin?”

“Um…17,” I replied, almost forgetting we were headed to the cabin.

“Oh! That’s the same cabin I’m in! We have one other roommate. Her name is Gina. She’s really friendly.”

I smiled, happy that I wasn’t rooming with people I wouldn’t like. “So, Maya, this is your first summer here, right?”

She nodded, opening the door to Cabin 17. “Yep. I’m just hoping everyone here is as friendly as you and Gina.”

I debated whether or not I should lie by telling her that they were. Deciding against it, I set Maddie and her bag down on the empty bed and shook my head.

“Not everyone.” I turned to the petite girl sitting on a chair, reading a book. A big book, might I add.

“Hey, I’m Jess,” I greeted. Her smile was small, and I could tell she was kind of shy.

“I’m Gina.”

I nodded and grinned, facing my bed again to put my things away, shoving my suit case under the bed. When everything was settled, I took Maddie and headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” Maya asked curiously.

“We’re supposed to meet in the cafeteria in a few, so I figured we could go early to grab some seats.”

“How did you know?” Gina asked.

“I’ve gone here for the past eight years,” I shrugged and they followed me out. Unfortunately, the place was already crowded.

“I guess everyone else had the same idea,” Maya muttered. I nodded and led them inside.

We were all seated when Mr. Davis, the new camp director spoke up. “Okay, it looks like I have your full attention. I have a few things to say.”