Chapter 22- Mom's Secret

Jade's POV

 After the awkward silence with my mother, I practically dragged Liam outside. I rubbed the bags under my eyes and yawned. Liam stood there looking at me with a small smile and that adorable glint in his eye. I hated how much I liked him. 

"So I-um..." I trailed off, thinking of the events inside the house, my stomach igniting with fire. "I understand now."

A deep chuckle came from his chest.

"What?"

"It's nothing."

"Tell me please." I begged him.

"I was just...thinking."

"About what?" I asked nosily.

His eyes went to the ground before finding mine. "You, I guess... You're a great kisser." 

My cheeks flushed red for the second time that day. I didn't know what to say. Was I really? I hadn't kissed many boys before. "I am?"

"Yes." He nodded. "And I would do it again if your mother wasn't watching like a hawk."

I glanced over my shoulder to see my mom looking out the window to us. It was sort of creepy. Her hair was frizzy like she hadn't had much sleep and she had dark circles under her red eyes. She looked horrible and I felt bad.

"Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with her." Then she turned around painfully slow and walked away. Last night she had been crying. "I should go talk to her."

With a nod he replied, "Go on. I'll wait."

As I walked inside, my mother snapped her head up and stood in front of the counter hiding something behind her. My eye had caught an edge of a paper.

"Oh um, hi Jade." I tried to peek around her but she leaned in my view. "Do you need anything?"

I came closer. "Mom... What's that?" I referred to the papers on the counter that she was hiding.

"I's nothing Jade, just bills." It's not that I didn't trust her, it's that I knew that she was lying. I went and picked up the papers. "Jade."

I was confused at what I saw. Job applications? Did she lose her job and not want to tell me? My mother stood there with crossed arms while she rested her knuckle between her teeth.

"Why didn't you want me to know about... this?" I point at the papers.

"I promised."

"Promised what?"

 There were tears on the brim of my mom's eyes threatening to break over. "I promised you and myself that I would get a job to take care of us. I have been working at that stingy gas station ever since your father left us and what so I get in return?" Tear now streamed down her cheeks. "Fired. I get fired from the only job I had. The only one keeping us living in this small house. I didn't want to tell you because I knew you would worry. I hate making you feel worried. It's nothing you need to worry about."

"But mom, I can get a job. I can help pay the bills-"

"Jade I don't-"

"I can help you with the appli-"

"Jade, no! I can do it my self!" She sniffled and fumbled with the papers, her fingers trembling just like her bottom lip. Those fumbling fingers gripped the edge of the counter until her knuckles turned white. My mom was scaring me a little. I tried to touch a paper. "I said...stop..."

She turned around with her back against the counter and broke down. The room was filled with small gasps and sobs. Her body slid down into the corner of the counter and I grabbed her arms. Before I knew it, salt water fell of my cheeks in drops and I was wrapping my arms around her. She was emotionally broken. All these years of holding it in and finally she snapped.

As we cried I couldn't think of anything else but getting a job. It's what we needed and it's what would help us.

"You could of told me." I mumbled into her shoulder. 

She didn't answer, she just kept sobbing.

"Why did he leave us?" I cried out to her as I looked into her glossy, swollen eyes. They told me not to say another word.

I really didn't know the answer to that question. The reason he left us I wasn't sure of. All I remember is them having a huge fights about things and then one day he ran out the door. He did return to get his stuff later that day though.

I sat there with her on the kitchen floor, hugging her a little longer until I realized Liam was still waiting for me outside. I needed to stay with my mom today, no matter how crazy Liam's werewolf biz was. That's when I got up, told my mom I would be back, and went out to find Liam. Quickly I wiped my eyes, trying to hide the traces of my crying.

When he saw me, he knew something was up. I could tell by the look on his face that he was concerned.

"I..." I trailed off and looked to the ground. "I sort of have to be with my mom today." He craned his neck to try to see the look on my face.

"Hey, it's fine. What's wrong?" Liam's soft voice comforted me.

"Nothing, family troubles, we just won't be able to talk today-"

Liam stopped me with a hug. His big warm embrace made me forget about the world for a second. I took in his scent. It smelled like a mixture of pine, dirt, and cologne. He pulled back to look at me.

"Again, it's fine. Go on. We can talk... tomorrow?"

I nod and say, "Yeah, I think so."

My arms were still wrapped around his body when we gave our goodbyes. I'm glad Liam wasn't pushy or controlling and that he didn't try to stop me from being with my mom today.

Liam. I thought.

Liam what. I didn't even know his last name and somehow I got into all of this with him.

                                                                 Liam's POV

One day was delayed. That's okay. I can talk with her tomorrow and keep an eye on her to make sure Tom isn't hurting her.

I walk into the house to see Zayn still passed out on the couch. He could probably sleep two whole days if he wanted to. 

After I check around the empty house for the rest of the boys, I go back to Zayn and shake him.

"Ay, wake up."

He groans and looks at me with sleepy eyes. "What?"

"Where is everybody?" It took Zayn a second to be aware of his surroundings. 

"I uh," He rubbed his eyes. "They told me they were going out to get a drink or something like that." Slowly, he got off the couch and went to the stairs. I heard the bathroom door close and I sighed. Having to live in this house together was okay at times but it could get annoying. 

I can't believe it has only been nine days since I moved here. A lot has happened within the time, good and bad.

It's truly summer for me now. I got out of school two days ago, yay! That means more story, quicker.

Can get a lot of votes and comments for this chapter? Also if you are enjoying the story, I would love to receive a follow?

I just wanna let you guys know that I really appreciate the votes and comments you leave for me. You people are the best and I love you.