"That's why whenever we tried to access his memories, it always seemed to cause him pain," Jem whispered, brushing the bandages that were wrapped around Will's wrists. "The headaches, the dizziness, the brands and the gash on his head....they're all connected to that demon doing everything it can to block his memories."

Everything seemed to click into place for Jem.

That first night when Cecily had exploded in front of Will and he had run out, throwing up on the steps.

When the Silent Brothers had shifted through Will's mind, making him collapse when it became too much. Didn't the Brothers say that something was fighting them?

And just now when they tried to find out what happened to Will by going into his mind. The brands and the gash reopened. Everything just suddenly made sense.

The only thing that was missing was the identity of Will's kidnapper.

"What do we do?" Jem asked. "How do we get it out?"

"Painfully," Magnus answered gravely. "Very painfully." Jem ran his hands through his hair, noticing that they were shaking slightly. Magnus watched him carefully as Jem stared at his trembling hands.

"It seems that Will's condition is having an effect on you as well," he said. "The parabatai bond can sometimes be too strong." Jem looked up at him, his eyes wide.

"What's happening to us?" He whispered.

"That's what I'm here to figure out," Magnus replied. He gently took Jem's arm and guided him to a high backed chair, sitting him down. "You need rest. You've already been strained enough. I will do what I can to bring Will back." Jem gripped his arm.

"I need to tell you what we saw," he said. "We saw the bronze masked man again. He was asking Will about a book. He wanted it for some reason."

"There are many powerful books in the Shadow world," Magnus said.

"He didn't say which," Jem replied. "But, Magnus, the bars of Will's cell, the shackles, they burned him the moment Will touched them. They weren't even heated." Magnus looked up sharply, moving to hold Jem's shoulders.

"Jem, you have to be clear with me," he said seriously. "Were the bars and shackles made of a black, iron-like metal?" Jem nodded.

"Yes," he said. "How did you know?"

"Because I know what it is," Magnus replied, standing up and looking at Will's sleeping figure.

"Demon metal."

-*-*-*-*- Tessa -*-*-*-*-

As soon as Tessa arrived back at the Institute, she instantly asked Cyril to summon Charlotte and the others to the drawing room. She hurried down the corridor, not even bothering to take off her hat and gloves.

"Tessa?" It was Charlotte running up behind her. "Tessa, what on Earth is the matter? Is it Jem and Will? Are they alright?"

"Jem was ill but he is fine now," Tessa replied, walking quickly with Charlotte to the drawing room. "Magnus had an idea to try and help Will find his memories. Jem asked me to come back here and talk to Gideon about what his brother told him." Charlotte stopped short, standing in the middle of the corridor and staring at Tessa.