iii. Mint Mojito Gum

Start from the beginning

       As he rotated his shoulders, Allison spoke. "Who's that?"

       "I'm not sure who he is," Lydia said. Scott's eyes were trained on us.

       "His name is Scott," I said, smirking in his direction.

       Allison bit her lip. "Are you friends with him?"

       "I've been best friends with him and Stiles since we were four. Why?"

       "Nothing, he just lent me a pen in English," Allison said quickly.

       "What the hell is a Stiles?" Lydia asked, raising an eyebrow.

       I simply rolled my eyes. Turning my attention back to the tryouts.

       A shrill whistle blew, and that's when Scott started gripping his head for dear life. Because of whatever was bothering him, he didn't notice the lacrosse ball coming at him at a fast speed.

       He took the ball in the face, before landing flat on his back.

       "Shit," I muttered. Down a few bleachers, Stiles cringed. I turned to the other girls. "I'll be back."

       Not waiting for a response, I clambered down, before plopping next to Stiles. He visibly jumped, and then noticed it was me.

       "What the hell is going on with Scott?" I asked him.

       "I have no—" Stiles said, before pausing.

       Down in the goal, a ball effortlessly flew into Scott's net.

      Stiles looked confused but nonetheless shouted, "yeah!"

       "Nice job, Scotty," I cheered. Even from here, I could Scott roll his eyes.

       Ball after ball, Scott caught. Stiles and I were on the edges of our seats. No offense to Scott or anything, but normally he sucked. Badly. But all of a sudden he was some lacrosse god.  Amongst the row of boys, Jackson was at the back. You know, until he pushed them all out of the way. A determined look was plastered across his face, as he began running forward.

       "Damn it," I muttered. Nervous for Scott, I grabbed Stiles's hand. His hazel eyes widened, before giving my hand a squeeze.

       Jumping in the air, Jackson released the ball. It soared towards Scott, and I held my breath. This wasn't going to be good.

       And then with a simple swoop of his arm, Scott caught the ball.

       Stiles and I immediately leapt from our seats, cheering.

       "That's my friend," Stiles shouted at the small crowd, as if that made him cool.

       "Go Scott!" I yelled.

       Scott smiled hugely. But he wasn't smiling at what had happened. No, he was smiling at the fact that Allison Argent was smiling back at him.

❀ ❀ ❀

       Once lacrosse practice had ended, I unwillingly followed Scott and Stiles back into the woods. Why? Because Mr. Lacrosse God lost his damn inhaler.

       "I don't know," Scott said. "It was like I had all the time in the world to catch the ball."

       He began walking through a small river. I looked down at my shoes. No way in hell these were getting wet. Without another thought, I took a running start, before jumping on Stiles' back.