Eighteen || That's Me

"This is awkward. I'm gonna get that unopened vodka bottle real quick." Kamila sighed, walking into the pantry.

"I'll join you." Draymond said, scratching his head.

"This is fun." Steph said as he looked at Ayesha.

"Oh I hear Ryan crying I'll be right-" Steph started as Ayesha pulled on his sleeve, holding him back.

"You're helping me with this, Wardell." Ayesha whispered through her gritted teeth.

The room was silent for what seemed like forever, until Lauren's phone rang. She looked at the caller ID and groaned. Chance's name popped up on the screen.

"Just the perfect time." Lauren said sarcastically as she excused herself.

"Hey bab-I mean hey Chance, what's up?" She caught herself slipping.

"Hey, Brooklyn, Addy, and Drew want to get some ice cream, are you guys gonna be home or should we go now?"

"Actually uh, Chance, we have a problem." Lauren whispered.

"Why, what's wrong? Where are you? Do you want me to pick you up?" Chance started to panic.

"'No, Chance I'm fine." Lauren chuckled.

"It's just that, I'm here at Ayesha's house, and turns out, Klay's here too." Lauren sighed.

"Oh-" Chance started.

"Talk to him." He said.

"What?" Lauren widened her eyes.

"Lauren, you're technically still married to him. Talk it out, it's what you both need." Chance said through the phone.

"Alright, I guess." Lauren let out a sigh.

"It's what's best for the two of you." Chance said before hanging up.

Lauren took in a deep breath as she walked back into the kitchen. She saw Draymond and Kamila saying "cheers" while clinking their shot glasses in the corner of the pantry. Ayesha was cooking dinner while Steph and Klay were talking on the dining table. Lauren cleared her throat as all the attention shifted towards her.

"Um Klay, can we step outside?" Lauren said quietly as she walked towards the backyard, Klay following behind her.

Ayesha stopped cooking as she looked at Steph. She took a deep breath and looked out the door, everyone watching closely behind.

Lauren walked over to the lounge chairs by the pool in the Curry backyard, Klay sitting on the one next to her. There was an awkward silence for a couple of minutes until Lauren broke the ice.

"So, how have you been?" Was all she could come up with.

"Alright." Klay said, not making eye contact.

"I'm not gonna bullshit around this, so I'm going straight to the point." Lauren began as she moved towards Klay, as he was still trying to avoid eye contact.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I know that we should've been honest and told each other everything, but you also have to understand that what I went through as a 16 year old girl, was not easy to talk about, and it still is hard. I left her, because I had no choice, my father pushed my daughter away from me. It's not a subject that is easy for me to talk about, and I hope that you understand that. Just because I left out that part of my life doesn't mean I wasn't gonna tell you. I was waiting until I was ready. I hope you forgive me, and please just understand where I'm coming from." Lauren breathed out after explaining herself. Moments later, Klay breathed in heavily.