Eight || What's the Secret?

"We're finally a family now." Brooklyn smiled from ear to ear. Lauren looked at Chance who gave her a look of sympathy. Lauren brushed it off and continued to play with her daughter. She tried to ignore the flashbacks, but they just wouldn't stop coming to her mind.

*8 years ago*

Lauren woke up in the middle of the night, finding herself having a difficult time going back to sleep. She kept tossing and turning until she sat up and took a deep breath. She pulled the sheets from her body and got up. Lauren pulled on a hoodie and headed out the door. She tip-toed downstairs to the garage, grabbing her car keys. She pulled away from the driveway and made her way towards Chance's house. She parked in front of his driveway and texted him.

Lauren: I'm outside, can you open the door?

Chance: sure

He was quick to respond and open the door to a distressed Lauren.

"I miss her, can I see her?" Lauren said, talking about her daughter. Chance nodded and motioned for Lauren to come in.

Lauren jogged up to Brooklyn's bedroom and picked her newborn daughter in her arms.

"Does your dad know know you're here?" Chance whispered as Lauren shook her head.

"And he doesn't have to know." She said.

"She's your child too, I don't understand why he's not letting you at least take care of her." Chance said, shaking his head.

"Me neither." Lauren sighed.

It was about four in the morning until Lauren decided to head back home. She said goodbye to Brooklyn and Chance before driving out.

When she got home, she tried her hardest not to make a sound, but her dad was in the kitchen. She tried to walk past him without a single sound, but failed.

"Lauren Taylor Hill, kitchen. Now." She heard her dad's stern voice. Lauren started to sweat as she dragged her feet to the kitchen. She walked in, guilt in her eyes.

"I expect an honest answer from you. Where the hell were you?" Her dad said, not even looking her in the eye.

"I-I w-w-was wi-with, Broo-Brooklyn." She stuttered. She felt herself flinch when her dad slammed his fist on the table.

"What did I fucking tell you?! You are not allowed to see that child, or the father ever again." Rick replied.

"But dad, she's my own daughter. I gave birth to her. I carried her for nine months." Tears started to stream down Lauren's face.

"What's going on here?" Lauren's mom walked into the kitchen, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Your daughter over here snuck out and went to Chance's house." Rick said in a disappointed voice.

"Rick, she has a child with him, let her see her daughter." Sherry said, sighing.

"We came to an agreement that she were to never see that child ever again." Rick said, stubbornly.

"That is her child, Rick! Brooklyn needs a mother!" Sherry said, growing angry.

"We had an agreement, and she disobeyed that." Rick said, and with that, he stormed out of the kitchen. Lauren was  sitting, her face in her hands, sobbing.