THREE

| |

SAM and Joyce stood outside of the department, climbing out of the car.

Joyce — who was nervous, turned and looked up at Sam.

"What if we get caught?"

"We won't, trust me." He promised. "And I'm pretty sure they don't speak sign language, so you don't have to do anything but be there."

"That makes me feel useless."

Sam shook his head, adjusting the collar of her jacket. "You're not useless, just think of it as an easy first "mission"."

Joyce glared at him.

He pinched her arm before walking into the department.

Sam met up with one of the men, shaking his hand.

"I'm Agent Caudill, this is Agent Rolling."

"I appreciate you guys coming down here, Agents, but I'm afraid you may have just cost uncle Sam a tank of gas."

"Oh, why is that?" Sam asked.

"You two came up here to investigate Drew Neely's murder, right?"

"Right."

"Problem is no one's certain it was a murder at all."

Joyce watched Sam as the man sat.

"Okay, then what are we dealing with here? A suicide?"

"Self defense, more likely." He answered. "The surveillance footage was corrupted. Our techies finally managed to clean up the file."

Joyce watched as the footage played, revealing a man in a sketchy baseball cap.

"That John Doe right there is the one you want to keep your eye on."

As Joyce got a better glimpse, she realized that the John Doe was Dean.

Sam clenched his jaw, leaning forward as he stared at the screen.

"Son of a bitch."

She looked up at Sam.

"Okay, now guy's just minding his own business, and there's Drew Neely. See the knife?"

"Yeah."

"That's intent right there. Now watch this."

Joyce watched as Drew tried to attack Dean, but Dean had caught him before he could, attacking him back.

"Looks like a cutlass or something." The man began. "I don't know what the hell this is. Problem is, we don't know if this guy's a hero or a psychopath."

He stopped the video as Dean looked up at the camera, and Sam stiffened.

"That's the image that's getting uploaded to the wires."

"Detective, do you mind if I uh, take another look at this?" Sam asked.

"Knock yourself out. I'll be back in a few."