SIX

| |

WHEN they arrived to the club, Sam had already been prepared to ask the questions. Joyce looked around the parking lot as sirens wailed around her.

"That's the guy." The bartender groaned in pain. "I called 911, but he was gone before they could show up. That dude get to you, too?" He asked, pointing to Sam's arm.

"Oh, uh, no. This is just a hunting accident."
"Damn."
"Would you do me a favor? If you do see him again, will you give me a call?" Sam handed the man his contact card.

Joyce looked around the parking lot for anything, but there was nothing to find. She walked towards the truck as Sam waved her down, and she stuffed her hands into her pockets.

Sam looked to her as he started the truck. "You all right?"

The woman shook her head. "I just have a weird feeling."

"What's the feeling?"

Joyce looked at him. "Don't worry about it, I'm just paranoid."

Sam pulled onto the main road. "Okay, uh, there's a motel not too far from here. We can sit there for a little bit until we find something on Dean."

As they drove, Sam glanced over at her, and down at his phone.

"Here. Use this. It's easier when I'm driving."

When Joyce looked down at his phone, she noticed the talk-text app.

"Try it out. . . Uh, what happened to your mom?"

Joyce typed on the phone, and once she was finished, she pressed the "Speak" button.

"She was killed by a demon."

Sam looked at her. "A demon? Do you know who it was?"

"No, I just remember his face. I haven't seen him since."

Sam nodded. "I'm sorry. Okay, um. . . What were you doing before you were taken?"

"I was trying to hunt the demon down. I ran into the one you met before you found me, and I ended up locked in that basement."

She hated thinking about the cold, dirtiness of the basement where she believed for a period that she would rot. It was nerve wracking to even think of dying alone.

Sam noticed the look on her face as she stared out the window in a trance.

"You're safe, Joyce. Okay? That demon is dead, and you're free."

Joyce took a breath in as she sent him a smile, pressing "speak". "I know."

When they arrived to the motel, Joyce followed Sam inside. She sat down on the edge of the bed, watching as Sam ran a hand through his hair.

"Give me a minute." Sam said, pulling his phone out. He exited the room, and Joyce was alone.

The girl walked into the bathroom and ran the faucet immediately. She cupped her hand beneath the water and leaned down to splash her face. When Joyce looked up, she saw him.