TEN

| |

THE room was silent, only the sound of snuffling as Joyce sat on the floor of her bedroom with her knees held tightly to her chest.

The room was dark, but the dim lighting from within the hallway painted across Joyce's freshly bruised cheek, along with her swollen nose and her face wet from tears.

The door opened and Joyce stiffened immediately. She staggered to her feet as she tried to make a run for the door, but Brandon— her boyfriend, grabbed her easily by the back of her head; fisting her hair. Joyce cried as he yanked her back and shoved her against the ground.

"You don't wanna listen, and then you wanna try and run?" Brandon asked as he dragged her across the floor. She wept silently at the pain, too weak to fight back.

When Brandon released her hair, he pushed her towards the bed. "Get up!"

Joyce stood to her feet, and without hesitation, she whipped around and backhanded him across the face. She watched as the man stumbled back, allowing her to slip towards the door.

Brandon rushed forward and yanked the door shut, managing to get her hand in the door. Joyce cried as she fell to her knees, cradling her throbbing hand to her chest. As the woman looked up, she watched as Brandon lifted his hand.

"You're not ever gonna get away from me."

He drew his hand back, smacking her harsh across the face again.

"Joyce!"

Joyce gasped as someone shook her arm roughly, causing her to stir awake. Only then, did she realize that she had fallen asleep in the back of the Impala.

Blinking a few times, she focused her eyes on Sam, who was leaning towards her from the front seat. He looked at her with concern.

"Hey, it's okay. You were having a nightmare."

The woman sat up as she adjusted her jacket. When she looked down at her watch, she signed:

"How long has it been?"

"Almost an hour."

Joyce watched as Dean opened the driver's side door and climbed in.

"Did you guys find anything out?"

"Yeah, dude said he was passing Sturges Farm when he saw a girl covered in blood— says it was a ghost."

"So, what, a dead woman came back as a ghost? Doesn't sound too off from normal."

"Well, we're gonna find out."

When they reached the Sturges Farm, Joyce followed the two out of the car, looking up at Sam.

"Well, ghosts don't shred people like that."
"Yeah, well this flea bag, looks like she ain't done. Chowing down on Sons of Anarch just yet."

Joyce loaded her clip with silver bullets.
"I guess she likes bad boys."

"Wait'll she gets a load of us." Dean smirked. Sam turned to Joyce, who signaled for them to split around the house. She tossed a flashlight to Sam, who caught it with his uninjured arm.

"You're flashlight duty."

Sam scoffed as he walked behind her.