ELEVEN

| |

ALTHOUGH Joyce's arm hurt and bled for a while, it wasn't deep enough to need stitches. During their drive to the Lincoln Motel, she patched herself up with the help of a few bandages and some gauze.

Using her knife, Joyce cut through her sleeve and discarded the bloodied material before carefully pulling her jacket on. As she did all of this, she was unaware of Dean; who was watching her.

When they pulled up to the Motel, Sam glanced over at Dean. "All right, I'll head in and see what I can find out."

Dean nodded.

Joyce leaned back against the seat as Sam got out of the Impala and made his way towards the motel. She watched him as he disappeared from her sight, and she turned back.

"How's the arm?"

Her eyes met his and she felt a sudden rush of animosity. She wanted to tell him off, but instead, she sent his uneducated self a thumbs up.

Dean sighed. "Look, you and I got off on wrong terms, okay? I mean, you don't seem like a bad girl, and I should, uh. . . Lighten up, and maybe learn sign language. The basic kind."

Joyce rose a brow. Was Dean Winchester being nice to her?

She reached for her phone and typed a sentence. Once she was finished, she leaned forward and handed it to him.

I forgive you.

Dean chuckled quietly. "Yeah, good."

Joyce smiled as she leaned back in the seat.

"So, Sam said you've been through some crap. But just so you know, this life. .  Hunting, it's worse than any of that."

She typed again.

You're wrong.

Dean squinted his eyes as she typed more.

In any part of life, something happens. People die and people hurt. This life is no different.

He clenched his jaw. "Yeah, you're right."

Sam neared the car and leaned against the window. "All right, so the clerk says a blonde rolled into her room three before sunup."

"She alone?"
"He thinks so."

Joyce was peering out the window when she noticed the girl exiting her motel room, locking the door. She kicked the back of Dean's seat, causing him to look.

"She's on the move."

Joyce hurried out of the Impala and began loading her clip as she followed behind Sam and Dean. The blonde made her way down the street and towards the trails that lead into the woods.

"What's she doing?"

Stuffing her gun into her waistband, she watched the blonde as she began focusing on one man on the trail.

"Looking for breakfast."

Sam nudged her arm before tilting his head towards the opposite side of the trail. She moved to let other joggers by when she began making a move towards the man.

Joyce grabbed her gun as the boys drew theirs. "Kate!"

"It's over."

Joyce watched anxiously as she turned around, but it faded immediately when they realized it wasn't Kate.

"Oh, God." The woman said, hyperventilating as she stared at the three. "Please, don't, I'll give you anything you want!"

Joyce didn't budge from her place between Sam and Dean. Sam lowered his gun. "Where's Kate?"