THIRTEEN

| |

"DAD, No!"

Joyce ran through the forest with her father's rifle in her hands as she followed closely behind as the Wendigo dragged her father across the ground. His screams were echoing through the thin air, followed by the Wendigo's snarls.

"Joyce, get out of here!" Her father screamed. The girl tried to aim as she ran, but it was too fast.

Joyce screamed as her father was thrown against a nearby tree, followed by the crunching of bones. She raised the rifle again, and she whistled.

The Wendigo turned to face her.

As she pulled the trigger, the Wendigo howled and darted towards the trees. As her father lay against the ground, she ran forward and kneeled down to him.

"Daddy, are you okay?"

"Joyce, get to the truck and get back to town. Do it! Now!"

She shook her head. "I won't leave you."

Joyce applied pressure to the wounds on her father's chest as much as she could. As a loud howl echoed through the woods, she gasped, turning her head.

"That gun ain't gonna kill it." He choked on his own blood. "And it will k—kill you."

"I can't leave you." Joyce cried.

Her father shoved her back against the ground, and she fell. "RUN!"

Joyce watched with wide eyes as the Wendigo swooped down and struck her father, killing him right before her eyes.

"NO!"

Staggering to her feet, Joyce ran back the way she came from. Her lungs burned and her chest ached as she ran, practically feeling the monster as it chased her down.

Tripping over a deep root, Joyce flew forward and slammed hard into the ground. As she lifted her head, she stared up at the Wendigo as the monster moved over her.

"SCREW YOU!" She screamed loudly. As she reached for the gun, the Wendigo raised its large hand, and swiped.

Joyce gasped, shooting upright from her spot in the backseat of the Impala; from what she realized, her head had fallen onto Sam's shoulder. She was coated with a thin layer of cold sweat, and her eyes were wide as she tried to catch her breath. Sam and Dean both looked at her, and Sam reached out and grabbed her arm.

"Joyce, hey, are you all right?" Sam asked, staring at her in concern. Dean glanced back at her through his mirror, waiting for a response.

She signed to Sam as she sank back in the seat beside him. "I'm okay."

Joyce looked over at him as he cleared his throat. As he lifted his hands, he signed. "Another nightmare?"

She nodded softly.

Kate was still fast asleep in the front seat beside Dean. She had passed out sometime before she did.

She didn't even realize she had fallen asleep. The past few days, she had been afraid to sleep.

Joyce didn't realize until then how close she was to Sam. Their arms and thighs were touching.

He was warm; and it calmed her down just thinking about it. As she attempted to slide across the seat, she signed.

"Sorry."

Sam smiled, shaking his head. "Don't be sorry. It felt nice, with this rain."