Explaination

Following everyone into the police airship wasn't as bad of an idea as I thought. When we exited, everyone wanted to see Adam locked up. The man with the slicked-back hair who introduced himself as Qrow offered to take me to the house he and his companions were staying at in Mistral. He carried a gold and blue orb. The boy with the cane who I overheard Qrow calling Oscar came with us as well. They both said nothing on the walk.

When we got inside, Qrow showed me to living room, excusing himself to the kitchen with nothing but the words: "I need a fucking drink." He set the orb down on the front table. Oscar retired to his room as well.

I sat down on one of the couches, kicking my feet up on the coffee table. Qrow came back in with a drink already half gone. "You can stay in that room up there. Second door." Qrow pointed to a door on the second floor. "Drop your weapons and come back down. I need to talk to you about some things."

I walked up stairs and shed my excessive amount of weapons. Two data knives, two shotgun pistols, revolver barrels, my SMG, ammo for my boots, some frag grenades, and so much extra ammunition for everything. You never know what situation you'll find yourself in. I debated taking off my helmet, but decided against it.

When I walked downstairs, Qrow was sitting in the armchair next to the couch. "You old enough to drink, kid?" He asked.

"I like keeping my age ambiguous, but yes, I can drink," I said. Qrow tossed me a flask. I took a hefty gulp. "I needed that. It's been a long night."

"You have no idea. So, what are you? How did you manage to take down the leader of a terrorist organization with that little effort?"

"Jumping right in, I see. Well, I'm a pilot. What every rifleman dreams of being. We have... enhancements, if you will. Speed, strength, sharpened minds, the perfect super soldier. Living weapons. But what truly separates us from the grunts is our unique bond between a Pilot and their Titan. A machine of war, built for destruction and massacre. My Titan, Scavenger, she means everything to me. She's the best friend I ever had, and my only family after my parents were killed. She for sure has her quirks, but... she's a spectacle in battle." I paused for a moment, taking another sip from the flask. "Remember how I mentioned upgrades?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Well, I really went all out. When a Pilot is deployed on the field of battle, we have to survive a free fall. They usually take a few seconds to recover. I decided to change that for myself. So, I had my lower legs amputated and replaced. I don't need any time to recover from that free fall. And, like everything else about me, they're also weapons. Kick-fired, so every kick is like pulling the trigger."

"Interesting. So, is that arm the same story?"

"How the hell do you know about that?" I growled.

"I have my ways."

"Well, no. Not the same story. Most Titans fight with guns. Others, not so much. A certain class of Titan, a Ronin class, fights with a sword. I underestimated that Ronin. Scavenger and I split up. I was caught off guard. I was fighting a losing battle. I know how to evade Titans, but apparently not well enough. Shit hit the fan when everything went dark. I woke up in a hospital with a prosthetic arm. Now more a living weapon than I used to be. I don't care. It gets the job done easy and quick. It's what I used to take down Adam." I kept tuning away to lift my helmet up to drink.

"Y'know, it would a lot easier to drink if you just took off that helmet." Qrow shook his glass.

I sighed. I took off the helmet and Qrow gasped. "You-your eyes..."

"They aren't silver, if that's what you're asking. They're a dull gray. I know the legends."

"Okay. I guess I didn't see 'em closely enough. And not just that, but how do you have so many scars?"

"Years of fighting on the front lines will do that to you." I took a gulp from the flask.

"Well, the others'll be back soon. Ruby just texted me. Damn. She's bringing a couple more people. Just more kids to look after." He paused. "I should start dinner. It's been a long day for everyone. I'll let you know when it's done."

"Thanks, Qrow. Especially for being so... understanding. I'm gonna down and train. See ya later."