TWELVE

"Do you have a problem with that?" Grace mocked.

Her stupid face that resembled Nate too much boiled my blood and my wolf urged me to drag my claws across her throat.

"Not at all, mother knows best." I smiled.

Nathaniel walked into the kitchen with a towel across his neck and looked between his mother and I for a quiet moment before looking back to his mother in question.

"Nate, darling, I have a nice surprise for you." She kissed his cheeks tenderly.

He then cast his gaze onto the beautiful ladies who were waiting for him to speak like puppies waiting for a treat.

"What is this?"

This was definitely my cue to leave but I was way more interested to see how this would turn out. One thing Nate hated the most was his mother's matchmaking, and that's exactly what he was in for.

"I present to you these three lovely ladies who you could get to know. They are mateless and come from respectable families-"

"Mom, I'm not interested." He cut her off and reached for his bottled water.

The girls faces fell in disappointment and I held back my snigger - what a train wreck.

I should have gotten my phone out to video record everything but I didn't want to risk the wrath of four she-wolves...not that I couldn't handle it. i just couldn't be bothered getting my claws bloody.

"What do you mean, you're not interested? You're twenty-nine for crying out loud, it's time for you to start settling and not run around with wild rogues."

Nice dig!

Nate laughed and shook his head, "I don't know what your problem is but when I'm ready, I'll decide on my own who deserves to share my life with me."

Apparently, that wasn't a good enough answer for Grace because she suddenly turned to face me and advanced on a snarl. Despite the sophisticated light grey pant suit she wore, her wolf within rose to the surface in an attempt to threaten me.

"This is your fault, you stupid girl."

"Woah, innocent bystander here." I smirked.

Her eyes lit up in anger and I allowed my wolves to shine just a little bit to show her I wasn't afraid.

"You and your family just can't keep away, can they?"

"That's enough mother. You three, get out of my house." Nate commanded.

The girls scuttled off in silence.

"I think you should leave too."

His mother reared back in shock, "I'm not going anywhere. Not until she leaves. You'd think calling her uncle the first time around all those years ago would have her gone for good-"

"Wait, what did you just say?" I interrupted.

There was no way I was hearing this correctly.

"Did you know about this?" I turned on Nate.

"Of course not, explain yourself mother."

She straightened herself, "Well, I didn't like how close you were getting so I called Mikhail to come retrieve his property."

My jaw clenched so tightly I felt the bone threatening to break. I didn't know what to think - would things have turned out differently if I had stayed with Nate and never been discovered? I couldn't let myself think that.