Killjoys Never Die

As much as i want to just take a moment to stand there with Party and relish in the fact that the two of them are dead, i know we have more to do. The metaphorical bomb that we've caused has gone off, we've killed them, but now we have the aftershock to deal with.

"Come on" He pulls me towards the door, his grip extra tight after how close it just came "we need to find the others and get Dr Death in here. Now we've secured the headquarters we can transmit a message to tell the people of the city we've taken over."

"And we need to cease pill manufacturing immediately" I add, remembering that it will take a day or two for the supply of pills to run out, and then another for everyone in the city to start to feel themselves again, and eventually see what good we had done for them. Until then, the killjoys would have their work cut out patrolling the city and making sure that all pills had been disposed of.

"The dracs should be lost without their leaders, once they find out i expect they'll stop fighting, or at least give up a little so we can finish them off" Party says as we reach the end of the corridor, stepping over bodies and guns that are lying on the ground. We stop outside the same door we'd paused at before, and he engulfs me in a simple hug, wrapping his arms around my shoulders as i do the same back. "Fuck, Spark, i thought i wasn't going to reach you in time."

"Well you did" I hug him even tighter "that's the main thing. You did and now they're dead. Now come on, we've got a city to run."

We find Ghoul and Jet on the floor beneath us. Ghoul seems unharmed as he throws the limp draculoid's bodies out of the way, a bit of sweat and blood smeared on his arms but apart from that he's in one piece. Jet is paler, and leaning against the wall as he clutches his side.

"What happened?" Party kneels down beside him immediately.

"The shot skimmed my side" Jet grimaced "and it hurts like a bitch. I'm going to need some bandages for this." He's downplaying it, because i know how much it hurts when the shot just misses you, let alone skims you on your torso.

"I'll find you some" I immediately get up and head over to one of the offices, going through the drawers until i find a small handbag-type first aid kit. There is just about enough bandages in there to be going on with, and i hurry back with them.

"Here" i chuck them to Party, who's already got Jet out of his jacket. He starts to wrap the bandage tightly around his stomach, and i can clearly see the purple bruised mark where's he's been hit - it's even oozing a little blood.

"You guys! Are you okay?" i turn to see Kobra, Neon and Silver heading towards us. Kobra has a few scratches but seems fine, and the droids are in good shape - i guess they don't bruise or scratch anyway, not even bleed.

"We're fine" Ghoul grins "Well, Jet needs a bit of care but we're all going to be okay."

"What about Korse?" Neon gets straight to the point "where is he? Did you get them all?"

"Don't worry, they're all dead" I reassure her "all we need to do is radio Dr Death and then broadcast a message to the city." Everyone finally relaxes a little bit now, knowing that the hard part is over. We've taken back the city, killed the powers of evil that made us run in the first place, and even managed to not get any of us killed.

An hour later and me, the fab four, the two droids, Dr Death and a second killjoy who was protecting him, are all sitting in the main control rooms for Battery City. The super computer in front of us is beyond massive, although it would need to be to be able to run the city smoothly.

"And if we press this then..." Kobra clicks around on the screen before letting out a satisfied whoop "there, done! Now all the Pill factories have stopped, the recipe has been erased from the database so no one else will ever find it too."

"Perfect!" Dr D claps his hands together "how many days until all the citizens are back to their normal selves?"

"Around two. They won't be aggressive in the meantime though, they'll just slowly run out of pills and gradually gain their personalities back again. It might take them a while to adjust back fully and get over what happened to them, but they'll get there eventually."

"And now the city belongs to us" Ghoul sighs, running a hand loosely over the keyboard "how are we going to govern it exactly? What do we call ourselves?"

"We'll continue to rule as we did with the killjoys, but over a larger group of people - a city even. I'll be in charge, but you lot will be my, how shall we say, board of governors. You'll help me and the other high-ranked killjoys run things smoothly. You've earned it after all - you were the ones who took down this building and everyone in it."

We all grin at that - the chance to run the city on our own terms, to have a say in everything that happens and make sure that things are never allowed to become out of control ever again.

I find Party sitting by the window in the top floor, in one of the offices where there was no bloodshed. In fact the BLI logo is still saved as the screensaver on the computer, although i quickly turn the machine off before sitting down next to him.

"I didn't know wether you wanted to be alone or wether you wanted me to follow you" i sigh "so i figured i'd come ask you myself." Once everything had died down a little and killjoys had started streaming in and out of the building for debriefs he had excused himself on a break, and headed off up the stairs. I'd waited until i'd finished stitching up a cut on Cyanide's arm before heading after him.

"It's fine, you can stay" He smiles over at me, patting the space next to him. I oblige and shuffle closer, letting him drape an arm around my waist. "I'm just trying to adjust to it all, i guess."

"What - the whole we-run-the-city-now thing or the fact that Korse is finally dead?" I have to chuckle a little myself at how strange it feels to finally say it out loud. It's not just a hope and dream anymore - it's reality.

"Both and more. I just... it's trivial, but i'm going to miss our home in the desert, you know? That diner was my home for years. It was where i told you i loved you, where we first slept together, where Kobra had the idea that would make us win this fight. It's my home and now we're uprooting to here. It's just so strange." He stares out the window as he speaks, taking in the vast city that stretches out before us.

"I know what you mean. It seems weird to me and i wasn't even there for a fraction of the time that you were. But that's okay" I turn to look him in the eye "because we get a fresh start now. We're going to find a home here with appliances and proper food, we're going to be able to live our lives without constantly getting into gunfights with dracs and putting out life on the line every five minutes. We can grow old here Party. You and me." I lean into him a little more.

"I dunno about getting old" he cringes "but i do definitely want a future here with you." He brings a thumb up to my cheek and carefully runs it along the cut that I sustained, which has thankfully stopped bleeding now. No doubt it will leave a bit of a scar, but I'm far too happy with the fact I'm alive to care about that.

"I wouldn't worry about the whole growing old thing anyway, we'll just keep dying our hair and nobody will know" I giggle into his shoulder.

"I'm not getting old full stop - killjoys never die anyway. Not really. Even the people we lost are still with us in spirit." He pulls away from me and picks his gun up from beside him "come on, we should get back to the others."

"Whatever you say, oh immortal one" I joke, letting him pull me up to my feet and lead me into our new city, our new era, and our new life.

--

JUST THE EPILOGUE LEFT AYYE