The Party Before The Storm

When we get back, the whole of our group and sitting outside, just waiting to see if it went okay. Party already radioed ahead on the way back to Dr Death to tell him that we were fine, and apart from being a little splattered in oil, everything had gone okay. We knew the others had been listening in too, but obviously they wanted to check we were okay for themselves. 

"It went okay? Did it completely upload?" Jet asks as soon as we jump off the bike. 

"It's completely uploaded. One hundred percent" i reassure him "all that's left to do now is gather up the killjoys and prepare them for a fight." 

"Dr Death and Cyanide are already on it" Ghoul flicks a bit of oil out of my hair "they're rounding up every killjoy in every zone and telling them to come back to his base to prepare. Apparently there's going to be a massive party at The Battery tomorrow night for us all. You know, to relax a bit before we go to war with Korse." 

"And as we have Kobra here, we're the guests of honour" Silver places a hand on his shoulder. 

"Well before we go to any parties we both need to shower" i gesture down at the various oil splatters on my arms, shins and no doubt face. "I stink like some chemical experiment gone wrong. And then left to ferment." 

"I don't see why you two don't just save us all some water and shower together" I hear Ghoul mumble as i turn away, and then the quick sound of someone whacking him around the head. 

"Dude that's my brother you're talking about" Kobra hisses, and although i'm already making my way towards the building i can't help but turn around just to see him shudder. Party's laughing along with everyone else, but when no one is looking he sends me a questioning glance. I just giggle and give him the finger before heading inside, needing sleep nearly as much as i need a shower. 

The following evening rolls around, and Dr Death is true to his word when he promises a party. Killjoys are coming from each and every zone - Crash has apparently stocked up on so much alcohol that he hardly knows where to store it, and the argument of who's designated driver has already been settled within my group, seeing as Neon and Silver don't drink. Apparently liquids in general tend to screw with their system, and alcohol has no effect of them. 

I never really thought partying before you went to war would be a good idea. I figured everyone would be in a morbid mood about the battle that lay ahead, but that's definitely not the case here. By the time we get to The Battery it's already heaving with killjoys. They've come from each and every zone to be here, and they're spilling out the door. In fact a whole congregation of people are dancing outside in the cold desert air, not seeming to give a single shit. 

"it's a good way to loosen up and forget" Party explains to me as we walk down the stairs into the main part of the bar. He must have sensed my train of thought, either that or i was being way too obvious with my staring. "People don't want to lie around wondering who's going to make it and who's going to be lost to the cause. They want to get out, party, get drunk, do something stupid and just live." 

"I guess it makes you appreciate life" I nod as we make our way over to the bar. Crash spots us and calls us over with a whistle and a dramatic hand gesture, looking a little insane as he does so. He's probably been drinking too.

"Spark! Party! How are you guys!" He slams a whole tray of drinks on the table without us even ordering "here, have these on the house. I heard what you guys did - what with Kobra figuring it all out and you two going on that mission to make sure it all fell into place." 

"Yeah, i guess we've been pretty busy since we last saw you" i chuckle, sipping from the orange and pink coloured beverage. It's tangy and a little on the sour side, but at the same time i like it too - it would be nice to allow myself to drink for once instead of always keeping alert and responsible.