And We Have Ignition

Sorry for the wait guys, I'm going to try and concentrate on this story and getting it finished now :)

I'd like to say that now I'm an official killjoy it makes a difference, but to be honest it really doesn't.

I mean, Ghoul fixed a radio into my bike when we got back so that I'd be able to receive Dr Death's messages that are always bouncing around the zones frequency waves, but really all it means it that I'm registered as a member of the fab four's group, and will be included in the mission plans.

It's safe to say that nobody really feels like doing an awful lot tonight. We only buried Bolt yesterday and the memory remains fresh in all our minds like an open wound, a dull stinging in the background of our lives.

Not to mention Kobra has been forced to be by Neon and Silver, who have told him he can't come out until he's slept for at least four hours. He knew it wouldn't be worth complaining, so just went along with it.

Silver herself is resting too, and although Neon is awake she's not exactly in great condition. She's currently sitting in one of the diner's booths, reading an old copy of Shiny magazine and trying not to show that her health is declining. Jet was keeping her company earlier, as has now gone on a store run.

Cyanide came over an hour or so ago and her and Ghoul quickly disappeared together, leaving me and Party to sit outside on the roof again, keeping watch with the occasional bit of kissing thrown in.

"Have you ever seen Korse?" I ask as the two of us sit out in the evening sunlight "like, face to face or gun to gun."

"Yes" he gives a short nod, his fingers running through my hair as he speaks. We're sitting with my head resting against his chest, our legs stretching out in front of us and our guns lying side by side. "Three times actually."

"What happened?" I am genuinely curious as i have only caught glimpses of him from afar, but even then, from my hiding positions, I could see how scary and dominating he seemed. I can only imagine what it would be like to talk to that monster.

"The first time was when he led an attack on the killjoys right after the fires, back when we were just starting out. He shot at me but I managed to duck in time. The fights a bit of a blur to me, but I can remember the way he just stood there watching people fall down dead around him. Something about him just strikes your heart full of ice." He shivers a little "luckily he was outnumbered and left quickly. Although Ghoul did get one shot at the side of his leg. Since then he always just sends dracs to deal with us."

"What about the other times?" I take my hand in his and trace the lines of his palm as he talks "you said there were three times."

"The second time was when I was in the city on a routine mission in the city with Kobra. We'd gone to pick up these smoke bombs from Neon when we saw him leaving BL/ind headquarters and getting into a drac car. We had to hide behind some bins so that he didn't spot us, but I couldn't get a good aim from the angle out hiding spot was at, and by the time we climbed to the balcony above he had already gotten in the car so it was too late." He still seems annoyed about the whole thing now, although personally I think he wouldn't have stood a chance against all the dracs that would've no doubt been surrounding him.

"The third time we were in a shootout outside the city walls. He drove past and managed to shoot down two killjoys before driving off again with this sick laugh he has. The worst bit is i was sure he was aiming for me and not the other guys." He gives a small sigh of frustration "things would be so much easier if we could get him. If he was dead then BL/ind would go into a panic for once - it could be our op tune moment."

"If it were that easy we would've done it already" I shuffle a little in his lap so that i can turn on my side and see him properly as i speak "he's heavily guarded, and always armed to the teeth. He knows the city better than we do and he didn't get to the top by being thick, did he? He'd kill us five times over before we could even scratch him."

"I know. I just get so frustrated sometimes. We've been fighting this for so long now. I'm not going to be able to live like this forever. There's only so much luck in the world, and now that i've found you it makes me even more weary of what cards i'm being dealt."

"What are you trying to say?" I frown "We all know the risks of being out here are far better than being a mindless zombie in there. At least when we're out here we get to live properly, and still be ourselves until the bitter end."

"Bitter end. Exactly" He huffs "I'm sick of Korse thinking he rules this land. I want out of the deserts and into the city. I want to take it back for ourselves, overthrow Better Living Industries once and for all and create some sort of civilisation again where i don't have to constantly watch my back for dracs that want to kill me."

"Everyone out here fighting wants that" I cup his face in my hands "Including me. But we'd need an army to achieve those dreams. We have killjoys, but we don't have an army. The lives that would be lost... and if it failed they'd be for nothing..."

"Yeah..." He leans forward and kisses me once before giving me that smile i've grown to love "come on, i'm tired. Let's stop talking so deeply and go inside. Ghoul and Cyanide should resurface at some point."

I nod in agreement and follow him over to the ladder, not wanting to think too hard about exactly what it is we're up against. 

It's in the early hours of the morning that i'm woken up. It's still dark outside, and at first it takes my groggy brain a moment to acknowledge the persistent knocking on the door.

When I do realise I feel panic grip at my heart as I wonder what's so important that the others have felt the need to wake us up.

Party's one step ahead of me, jumping out the bed and picking up his gun, tossing mine at me as I scramble after him towards the door. Although neither of us say anything, I can tell we're both fearing the worst.

We're there dracs in the area? Normally the killjoys are pretty good at spotting their cars before they got too far into the zones, but there was the of exception, as I had learned the hard way. Like at the gas station when I'd nearly gotten myself killed.

Party places a I get to his lips in a universal sign for me to keep silent, before flinging open the door, gun off safety and aiming in front of him.

"Woah Party" Ghoul raise his hands in surprise "is that a gun or are you just happy to see me?" He winks at the end, which confuses me because there must be something wrong for him to wake us up, and yet here he stands cracking jokes.

"Yes it's a fucking gun, I ten to grab it when I'm woke up in the middle of the night. You know, since it must be important" Party hisses.

"Yeah what's going on?" I step into the doorway, keeping a firm grip on my gun but also turning the safety back on. "Are there dracs or what?"

"Nope, no dracs, no attacks. Don't worry, you're not fighting" he reassures us, and Party copies my action of lowering his own gun.

"If we're not under attack" Party sighs "then why the hell did you wake us up?"

"It's Kobra" that got both of our attention, but especially Party's "He reckons he's finally found a way to re-make Silver and Neons batteries. In fact he reckons he has an idea that could help us take down BLI once and for all."

That's all we need to hear before we're following after him down the corridor, all three of us hoping against everything that maybe Kobra's dedication and sleep deprivation has finally paid off.

--

You know Whattpad's got issues when it tries to rate that as restircted. I had to copy and paste the whole thing again and then it worked perfectly :L