Chapter 22 - Confusion

All Rights Reserved

∞ | Chapter 22 - Confusion | ∞

Citadel Himmel, Sage Cliffs

"Leave them down, I want to see them loose."

She could feel her cheeks flush from heat from the mere memory of the events from yesterday. What could she even say to that? She hadn't known what had gotten into Rhydderch but she liked it. A lot.

No, no, no, no, no!

She pressed her cool hands onto her flaming cheeks, willing them to stop blushing. Anyone who saw her would put two and two together and she didn't need anyone knowing what she and Rhydderch did behind closed doors. It wasn't anyone's business but theirs.

However, the memory of his lips on hers, hands leaving bruising marks, body sliding against body... her cheeks grew warmer. Now, Adrastea was pretty sure her ears were red.

Earlier that morning when she had finally gotten out of bed and dressed, a delicious soreness that was wholly not unfamiliar lanced through her, making her wince but she had gotten used to it. However, when she'd been braiding her hair, her eyes had met Rhydderch's through the reflection of the mirror and immediately, memories of the previous activities that they had engaged in swept through her mind.

And it was as if Rhydderch had known what she was thinking of as he'd given her a look that was close to a leer as his eyes raked over her body.

It didn't matter that she was fully dressed and that he was still on the bed but she was very aware of her actions as the heat of his gaze seared through her.

She fought the stupid expression off her face at the words that Rhydderch had murmured yesterday.

"You're perfect. Perfect for me. Mine, mine, mine," he'd gasped between thrusts and she'd had been so utterly thrown off from his words that she'd gaped at him with wide eyes.

Adrastea stopped outside the double doors leading to the infirmary and pressed a hand to her lips, forcing herself to be composed and professional.

She was Adrastea Bones, soulmate of Rhydderch Thomas, the rebellion leader and she had faced Death in the eye more than once. She was not going to act like a silly lovestruck girl.

Once she felt that she had her emotions under control, she opened one of the doors and stepped in. As usual, her eyes headed to the direction of the cot where Rhydderch's sister lay.

But instead of seeing an immobile body, she was met with the sight of Izla seated cross-legged on the white sheets and was eyeing her predatorily.

She didn't know what to make of the seated figure on the cot. The handcuffs were on the ground and Izla seemed fine. In fact, she seemed perfectly lucid.

Adrastea stopped and swallowed hard.

She knew for sure that she could not outrun or outfight Izla. And it was just her luck that Izla was the only patient in the infirmary.

"You're awake," she said rather uselessly and Izla seemed to agree as she tilted her head to the right and remained silent. Her dark eyes were still on her and Adrastea couldn't decide what to do.

What had she said earlier? She was Adrastea Bones, soulmate of Rhydderch Thomas, the rebellion leader and she had faced Death in the eye more than once. If she was going to die today, so be it but after everything she had gone through, she wasn't afraid.

"I assumed you'd have run off by now if you managed to get free," she finally said, taking cautious steps to her desk, making sure her back wasn't facing Izla. Yes, she wasn't afraid but not taking precautions was just plain idiotic.