Chapter 12 - Naivety

All Rights Reserved

∞ | Chapter 12 - Naviety | ∞

Rebellion Lands

"Stop that," he barked and she shot him a narrowed glare.

"Grow up, you have to move your arm to get the muscles stretched," she retorted and Rhydderch shot her a withering glare that would have made anyone cower but she met his expression with an angry one.

He huffed and a muscle in his jaw ticked but she ignored him. He was acting ridiculously as if he was a child and she wouldn't have it.

"Move your arm again," she instructed and he did so, jaw clenching as the sore muscles pulled. "Your arm is recovering at a good pace," she commented and removed the bandage. "Just stay away from any strenuous activity that could cause your arm to become worse."

"I know, this isn't the first injury I've gotten," he replied dryly and she shot him another irritated glare before turning away to dispose of the bandage.

It has been about three days since the incident and well, everyone was tense. The meeting hadn't gone well and everyone was waiting for sudden retaliation but so far, none had came.Darius had taken it as a sign that they should attack first but Rhydderch had resisted. Circe would expect it and he wasn't exactly willing to lead everyone into a trap.

Speaking about Circe...

She whirled around and fixed Rhydderch with a hard stare. "Were you actually serious about that ten-year-old child?"

He shot her an unimpressed glance before turning his attention back to adjusting his arm. "No, children are off limits no matter what. Did you really think I would have killed a child?"

She relaxed slightly, feeling a sense of relief bloom. She really didn't like the idea of her soulmate being someone who would have no hesitation in killing a child.

"No, I was just checking," she replied shortly.

"Adrastea, if you want to lie, don't learn it from your brother," Rhydderch commented lightly and she rolled her eyes at the jibe against Edmond.

"I didn't say that I thought you would do it, I just thought that you would entertain the idea," she replied lamely, realising how ridiculous her explanation was.

Fine, she really did think that Rhydderch would have done so.

"Liar," he pointed out before shrugging. "The kid is having a worry free life in Vonsworth. He's being looked after," he said seriously as he stood up from the bench.

"In Vonsworth?" she echoed and narrowed her eyes. "You're using him as leverage, aren't you?"

"Yes."

"He's not a bargaining chip in a game! He's an actual living human!" she exclaimed. "A child!"

Rhydderch arched a brow. "Nothing will happen to him. I will make sure of it. The men in charge of the two cities we have taken over have sworn fealty to me."

Adrastea pursed her lips, somewhat assured but pressed on. "And how sure are you that these men of yours will obey you? You're not there physically with them. In fact, you're miles away from those cities."

A shark-like smile appeared on his face.

"You have leverage over them as well," she breathed out as realisation kicked in and Rhydderch shrugged casually, the movement looking marginally odd due to his injured arm. "Yes, but I won't use it unless absolutely necessary. These men would have been the actual rulers if their ancestors haven't been thrown off."