"Jane, this boy, I mean this man, he'sㅡ."

It's difficult for her to say it because she knows what effect it will have. Still, she pursues, "that man, he's the son of the couple who died in the accident Jane, Kim Tae Won is their son."

Though I'm more than aware of what she says, hearing it from someone else's mouth is like an electroshock. In one sentence, Rebecca turned what I made into a mirage become a concrete reality.

"Jane, you can't be with a man who youㅡ."

Travis points his palm in my direction, "Rebecca, she knows, look at her."

Rebecca turns back her gaze to my father before focusing on me, "Jane is it true, you already knew?"

I don't know what to say, and I don't need to speak. Rebecca sees through me.

"Jane, how could you? How sick are you? You can not under any circumstances be with this man, ever. Did I make myself clear?" Rebecca says, shaking me violently.

"Stop, Rebecca; it won't change a thing. What's essential is that Jane stops seeing him. Is Kim Tae Won aware of this?"

I shake my head; he's crazy. Tae Won would kill me if it were the case.

"Good, what he doesn't know won't hurt him," Travis answers.

Rebecca chuckles, "good; you say, Travis? So for you, it's okay. What can I expect from a man who has cheated on me for the last fifteen years, like father like daughter, huh? You two live deceitfully, and it's normal."

"Rebecca, I'm not the subject right now."

A coward, it's only now I see what a selfish coward my father is and the truth behind Rebecca's apparent coldness. It's a facade she used to protect herself from the humiliation inflicted by a man who underestimated her witts.

"Jane."

But right now, I have no time to ponder longer; I only have one thought in mind, Tae Won.

"Let me finish it properly," I say.

"No, Jane, you can't see him again."

"What harm will it do to let her end it her way?"

"Shut up, Travis," Rebecca says, looking back at my father. At that moment I start to run. I leave the house.

It's late, and there are almost no trains. My small steps become strides, and before I know it, I'm running. I look at my watch; I've got five minutes to catch the last line 1 to Yongsan, from which I'll have to walk.

The night is cold, but I'm too determined.

An hour later, I'm standing in front of his apartment.

"Jane."

The tears I held until I got here stream down my cheeks as Tae Won invites me inside. I can't stop crying, and he stops asking me what's wrong; instead, he takes me in his arms.

"My god, you're freezing. How did you get here?" Tae Won says as he rubs my hands, "oh my goodness, Jane, you should take a shower. I'm afraid you'll fall sick."

I don't say a word, and I follow his instructions, half another later, I've showered, and I'm wearing one of his t-shirts and shorts.

Tae Won doesn't seem to know where to fix his eyes as I'm wearing one of his shorts, but still, my legs are evident, embarrassed, and I immediately realize he can not only see the scar on my leg but how skinny I've become.

"Are you hungry?"

I knew it.

I nod; I can't say no even if I'm not hungry, so I force myself to eat a bowl of cup ramen, which I don't regret.