twenty-five

25|| the light at the end of the tunnel

"Hey kiddo, it's been a while."

Washington DC, Smoak Hospital, October 2016-

A white light shining ahead. Murmurs and whispers from unknown voices. It was like those cliche movies, the light at the end of the tunnel.

Was Ali dead? Was she in heaven? Or hell where she belonged? Was this purgatory? Many thoughts were racing in Alison's head.

Her reasoning and mind had been thrown out of the window, or elevator car, if you wanted to get literal. Was that a dream? Falling down in a metal coffin to impeding death?

Alison wasn't sure. But all she knew was that right now, she was in a whitewashed area that could be purgatory. All she needed was some direction, a sign.

And in an instant, there it was. A hand, faint in the distance, reaching out for Alison. It was one that was calloused, and a faint silver scar streaking across the palm.

Ali knew whose hand this was. It was her mother's. The scar from accidentally messing with the sharpest scissors as a kid. Maybe that was a lie about how she got the scar, but Alison didn't care. Giving a heart wrenching sob, Alison reached out for her mother's hand.

"Mom-" She whispered, not believing what her eyes were showing her. Looking up, the figure of her mother was before her. Was this fake? Was this all some joke? There was so much that Alison wanted to say to her mom, but was there enough time? Question after question flew into her mind.

But before Alison could make up her mind on a question, the hand faded away as quickly as it came. "Mom?! Mom!" Alison hollered, waving her hand around the white space of air in an attempt to find her mom's figure again.

The light began to blind the young girl, blocking up all of her vision. Giving a small gasp, she tried to shield her eyes, but the light pierced through her hand, filling up her sight.

BEEP.

BEEP.

BEEP.

The rhythmic beeping of an IV machine woke Alison up with a start. Looking around at her surroundings, she saw a hospital. A quite bland one, if she even had an opinion on the matter.

Giving a small gasp, Jackie looked over at her cousin. "Thank god you're awake." She quickly walked over to Alison's beside. "I though you were as good as, well-" Jackie sighed, not wanting to mention the words.

"Dead?" Ali croaked out. "I truly thought I was." She rubbed her head, trying to rid herself of the headache that had popped up straight after she woke up.