two

02|| coffee shop mishaps

"Order for Peter and Ned! One caramel frap blended and one vanilla bean frap blended!"

Delights Coffee Shop, Queens, New York, April 2016-

By this time, the manager of the store had already given Alison her own PIN number to log into the computer. The fact that the slacker didn't really do anything during their shifts, and the fact that Lexi had already complained about it meant the manager just let Alison fill in and do the work, and Alison got the tip jar and a few extra bucks for covering the job.

At the moment, Alison was manning the cashier and Lexi was doing the actual drinks. Alison hadn't memorized all of the formulas yet, so she would always call the cashier. Most of the time, Lexi would just roll her eyes and go with it, knowing that if Alison screwed up on a drink Lexi would probably be fired.

Giving a yawn, Alison turned around to see Lexi cleaning the espresso machine. "Do you ever stop yawning?" Lexi shook her head, wiping down the nozzles with a damp white cloth. "I mean, I would assume that's your thing, besides holding any drink imaginable on Earth."

"Nah." Alison stretched, leaning up against the counter of the coffee store. The menu of the store was taped on the counter in front of the iPad cashier, showcasing all of the drinks the place had to offer. "It's natural when a person like me stays up late doing nothing but watching Netflix and trying to catch up on my brother's old comics."

Lexi sighed, steam hissing out of the machine. "I still can't believe you operate on so few hours of sleep. It's like your mind doesn't have any limits. Or your metabolism." She shook her head in amusement, recalling a particular party in which Lexi had gotten a little too tipsy but Alison was still standing.

"Hey! I may be 15 with a few months of experience, but I can still hold my own against spirits like booze." Alison shrugged, turning back around to face the cashier. The familiar jingle of Delights- the Queens coffee shop- welcomed the two new customers.

"Welcome to Delights!" Lexi hollered in a dull tone, prepping a few cups and coffee flavoring for the customers. Most of the time people came in for the specialty drinks, and not for the actual coffee itself.

The two boys walked up, one seeming to be of Hawaiian descent, and with a few pounds to spare, and the other a nerdy boy that seemed to be rather stocky, who was donning a geeky t shirt with a scientific quote. "H-Hi." One of the boys waved, the other following suit in an awkward way.

"Well, what can I get for you boys?" Alison asked, tapping into the order form on the iPad. Looking at the two teenagers that were probably the same age as her, she saw very dull and clueless looks on the boys' faces. "Never been here before?" She asked, quirking an eyebrow.