forty-five

45 || the beginning of the end

"She took my brother, Christa. She wanted to make this a personal fight, so now she did."

Parker Apartment, Queens, New York, Black Friday 2016-

Alison was studying with Skylar when she got the call from Jackie. The woman was in tears, her breath shaky as she informed her cousin over the phone that Absinthe had taken Charles while they were stopped at a gas station to let Charles use the restroom.

Alison, her hands shaking, dropped her phone on her textbook, not saying a word as she swiped her backpack from the table, opening the apartment door and leaving. The teenager rushed down the stairs, speeding to the bottom floor, jarring open the stairs' exit to the clear air of the Queen's street.

As she took a deep breath in, Alison wanted to collapse against the wall, unable to deal with the fact that her brother was good as- well, dead. A warm, steady flow of tears dropped down Alison's face, the teenager wiping them away as she swung her backpack around to unzip the bag. Pulling out her suit, the girl tried to remain calm as she slid into an alleyway, trying to disguise the fact that a superhero was changing into their suit.

Alison wiggled her suit on, and as she did so, she had no idea what to do or where to go. She didn't care though, only wanting to find her younger brother and get him back.

If Absinthe wanted a personal battle, she would have one alright.

Taking a deep breath in, Alison let out a shaky sob, hearing footsteps behind her. Whipping her head around to see who was in the alleyway with her, her eyes landing upon Christa and Skylar standing in front of her.

"Alison-I-we-" Skylar corrected, looking at Christa with a cautious glance. "What's wrong? We heard you drop your phone and-" She stopped, looking at Alison's tear streaked face, understanding what had happened. "You weren't joking when she said she'd ki- hurt everyone you love."

"Ali, we can't let you do this." Christa interjected, looking at her cousin with a pleading look. "After what happened yesterday, I can't help but think that something will go majorly wrong. You almost died. You don't know what you're walking into!"

"I can't let you get in my way." Alison disagrees with her cousin, shaking her head with an impersonal look. "Absinthe, she- she made this a persona vendetta. If she wants this fight to be personal, that's sure as hell what she's gonna get." Ali remarked, walking towards her friends, brushing shoulders with both as she's sandwiched her way between them and out of their grasp.

Skylar and Christa shared a worried look, the girls quickly realizing that there was no stopping the girl now. "Alison, you've gotta think about what you're doing. Because whatever you do normally involves me." Skylar quipped, sounding an awful lot like Sam Wilson.