Chapter 45 (Chase)

“Akram, I think I see Vivian in the car behind us!”

The familiar dirty blonde mane glared under the streetlights - My worst nightmares peeking through the windshield of a bleak Ford vehicle. She made herself comfortable on the passenger seat, but I couldn't recognize the driver.

Akram stiffened and glanced at the rear window. “Are you sure it's her?”

Instinctively, I turned to double-check, trying to zero in on the face. It could be my exhausted mind playing tricks on me. That witch had assaulted my sleep and imprinted her vipery face on my brain cells, I might as well see her every time I blinked.

This time, the cobra smiled…

I shook my head rapidly, making myself dizzy. “It's her! It's Vivian!”

“Hello” was the only word I recognized, before Laila bursted into a cryptic conversation in Arabic.

“Laila?!” Akram called out. He leaned in, gripping the back of the driver's seat.

“I'm on it,” Laila replied calmly, steering with one hand. Her right hand tinkered with an object next to her. That's when I realized she had a wireless earpiece plugged into her ear.

Akram's arms suddenly looped around my waist and shoulder. Unsure of what he was doing, I surrendered myself to  the warmth that enveloped me for a short time.

“Let me help with the seatbelt?” Akram smiled faintly.

I nodded in a daze.

He fastened mine, then his, and straightened back in his seat. It was normal to buckle up, but in this moment, my heart rate doubled. The reality of the moment started to sink in.

Vivian is chasing us! It's not a dream this time!

A sudden Buzz rattled against my side.

I flinched, startled by the vibration of the phone in my pocket. I pulled it out and checked the caller ID. ‘Unknown’ flickered across the screen in big letters.

My breath quickened. The timing and the blocked number gave me an inkling of who it might be, but I couldn't resist the urge to answer. I pressed the green button and listened…

“Wasn't so hard for Lynda to find you, was it?”

A sweet and venomous voice rang on the other end.

I whipped my head to the rear window. The witch in the SUV held a cellphone to her ear. She wiggled her fingers at me and her smile stretched into a pythonic grin.

“She's been my favorite gal, ya know.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?!” I exclaimed.

The serpent's laugh pierced my ear. “You know what it means, hon.”

“What's wrong, Mel?” Akram tensed.

“Aw! Your man boy is worried,” she cooed.

“Leave us alone!” I spat and ended the call. I slung the phone at the seat and pressed my hands on my temples.

So does it mean…? No! No! It can't be true! I mean… they're together?! The whole time?! But... Akram! He believed her, didn't he? Of course he did! He believed Vivian before! God, does it mean we've been set up? Oh, Akram! What have I done to you! What the hell should I do now? This is on me! I swear it's all on me! I have to do something!

“What is it?” Akram urged, eyes round.

Blood rushed to my head and I didn't answer. My ears whistled as I whirled around, glaring at Laila.