chapter 4 (The Café)

The café was definitely not what I'd expected. It wasn't one of those commercial coffee chains that you come across at each and every block while walking down the streets of New York and everywhere else all over the country. 'C.C café' said the handmade signboard that had a painting of a beautiful Asian lady in a colorful Saree and a nose ring, holding a porcelain teapot and smiling. It looked warm and cozy even from the outside. Most likely a family business.

The job ad poster was still there, so that gave me some hope as I entered the place.

The café was half-full. It was dimly lit by warm yellowish mood lighting and slivers of sunlight sneaking in through the glass front. The customers weren't even making any noises and obviously it was because of the free WiFi. The Interior color was mostly bright orange. Black furniture. Green tablecloths.  The walls were decorated with scattered framed photographs of amazingly exotic places in all the colors of the rainbow.  It wasn't big in there but it wasn't small either. And It felt like a peaceful work environment I hoped. 

The counter girl was staring at me with wide eyes and a welcoming smile, wearing the longest black ponytail I've ever seen in my life and lots and lots of beads!

"Hello. How can I help you?" Said the girl at the counter with enthusiasm, almost jumping in her place. She didn't look older than fourteen!

"Actually,  I'm here for the job?"

All of a sudden, the girl clasped her hands together and literally  bounced in her place, her long hair swaying behind her.

"Oh my gosh! Thank you thank you thank you!" She exclaimed.

Taking aback by her attitude, I watched her skip around the counter and attack me with an unexpected hug. I just froze.

"Where have you been?" She trilled, " I was going to die alone."

"Erm! Does this mean the job is not taken?" I asked suspiciously, feeling the eyes of the patrons staring at this dramatic scene from behind my back

She released me and threw her hair on her back again. "Come on! I have been skipping school for 3 days and no one turned up.  We had only one barista and she's in labor and I can't work day and night, can I?"

She had the cutest Asian accent. I was confused, but glad it seemed that I got the job so easily.  There was no competition.

"This must be my lucky day," I told her, a smile of relief spreading on my face.

"No. believe me, it's mine." She extended her hand as if she didn't just invade my personal space with her over-friendly hug, "I'm Asha Chaudhary. My aunt owns this place and I'm helping."

"Nice to meet you, Asha." I shook her tiny hand and the bead bracelets rattled against mine.

"Okay. Now let's not waste more time. Do you know how to run the espresso machine?" She asked, practically shoving me behind the counter.

"Shouldn't I meet the owner first?" I asked, feeling a bit weirded out. That was too easy it felt wrong.

"Don't worry. She trusts me." She grabbed my hand and dragged me towards a huge sturdy coffee machine at the side of the counter. "I'm going to be your personal trainer so pay attention," she told me with a practical tone. "This is where you grind the coffee beans. There's where we keep the mugs, espresso cups and paper cups. That's the milk cooler. Now there are twelve steps to make an espresso shot, and you have to remember them like your own name and... Oh!"

Asha suddenly spun around to face me with a shocked expression. "How come you haven't told me your name?"

My face flushed.  It was true I forgot to introduce myself and she didn't give me a chance to remember with this sprightly attitude.

"Oh Snap! I'm so sorry! I was just distracted! I'm... Melody Summer. "

"Aww, Lovely name! " She did the bouncy thing again, this time applauding. " Alright, Melody. You can have both a tutor and a friend. Now listen to me or I'm going to turn you into a toad."

I almost giggled. I pressed my lips together, trying to give the impression of full attention. "A toad?"

"Sure! And guess what? I have a wand and I'm not afraid to use it." She pointed to this long nuzzle attached to the coffee machine that they use to froth the milk.

"I thought it's called a steamer or something." I said, stepping closer to examine 'the wand'. This was getting interesting.

"No, honey. It's a wand. The wand chooses the wizard and this one just chose you," she told me, wiggling her eyebrows.

I chuckled feeling totally amused. "I guess that makes you Mr. Ollivander."

"No way! Hermione is my middle name!" She protested patting her heavy lashes. "Hey, you look a lot like Ginny from the movie, only that you have short black hair, you know that?" 

Her tone turned serious again and she started explaining all the steps and jargon a barista needs to know. It sounded like too much at first, but then when she started to test me I seemed to remember it all, and I made a perfect espresso shot for the first time. I was so proud of myself.

"Well done, Ginny," she clapped, "I'll call Auntie Chan to break the happy news."

Asha called her aunt and basically let her know that I was hired and that I was her best friend already. It was odd , but the odder thing was that I didn't mind.

Asha nearly made me forget that I was fired a couple of hours ago, and life seemed to be a little bit tolerable for now.

*******

Hi again. Sorry I'm late but I hope you like  it enough so far that people would actually VOTE and COMMENT. A writer can dream. :D

Please don't hesitate to comment and\or share any tips or remarks.

Also if you like it so far, please consider tagging a friend or two who might like this story. Just a suggestion no pressure ;)

Thanks all for reading ❤❤