chapter 20 (Tuesday)

It was five minutes past curfew when I arrived to the shelter.

I had tipped off the cabbie after we left the restaurant to drop me off south on tenth avenue, just a block away from the real address. That's when I realized Akram had paid him in advance. It was a relief because I definitely didn't have enough money to pay the driver but it also made me feel guilty all over again. I didn't feel anyone should take so much trouble to cater to me personally. I wasn't used to any of this because It never happened before in my life and it felt... confusing. But that didn't mean I hadn't enjoyed every bit. I just needed to relax and pretend to be a normal girl who just got back from her first date. Even though that wasn't exactly the truth, it was the most perfect night in my life.

Coming back to earth, there were other mundane things to worry about. Like the fact that it was my first time to return late at night and that I was supposed to sign in three hours ago, since I hadn't offered a prior excuse to the management to stay outside after hours.

My heart started pounding as the situation began to sink in little by little. This was going to be the first blemish on my clean record.

I considered sneaking upstairs into my room and just pigeonhole the mess until tomorrow but that wasn't a real solution. I'd probably be freaking out and have another restless night that would transform me into a zombier zombie the next morning. And then I'd still have to deal with the missing signature from tonight before I go to work which was never going to pass easily.

It was past ten already and I had to think of something to report to the night shift counselor. Which meant I had to lie again.

My insides were wriggling as I entered from the gate, past the security and trudged towards the front office.

" Damn, girl! You're late! That's a first!"

I lurched to a stop.

My pulse quickened as I heared the unfamiliar nasal voice coming from across the hallway in front of the TV room. My first thought was that Vivian caught me at the worst possible timing.

But she wasn't supposed to be here until at least seven in the morning!

My head jerked towards the unexpected welcoming party. A stubby girl with dark curly hair and sassy eyes. She was Viv's devotee who had been fake-consoling her in front of the police weeks ago. She often gave me the impression of a loyal guard dog.

There was something fishy going on because we'd never talked before and she suddenly seemed concerned about my punctuality for no reason. I even wasn't sure what her name was.

"Christine?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.

"It's Kris, sugar. Wassup wit you? Is it a boy?" She smirked mischievously.

My face burned.

"Why do you care, Kris?"

"Oh, I don't. Vivian cares. Dunno why." Kris shrugged her thick shoulders.

Vivian... of course!

" She told you to spy on me?" I hissed through gritted teeth, my hands balled into fists as I folded them across my chest.

" Uh uh! I ain't spyin. You see me spyin? Just looking out for ya!" She cocked her head , her hands on her broad waist.

"Then you should just leave me alone." I said, turning to stamp towards the office door.

"Listen to Viv. She'll do you good." I heard her voice ringing behind me.

I frowned and clamped my jaws shut, feeling the blood rush to my head, and trying to ignore her so that I'd control my exasperation.