(Ch 4) How Paid For College

Start from the beginning

Charley looked down at the card in Kayla’s hand. Apparently the younger Thorp was seated only one away from her; right next to… she picked up the card next her seat and saw Scott was her partner.

She looked up at Kayla. “It seems we are.”

Charley was about to pull out her seat when a hand covered hers, stopping her. Instantly a warm sensation ran through her arm, freezing her in place. She didn’t need to look up to know who was having this effect on her, but slowly she found her green eyes drifting up to meet his baby blues.

“Allow me,” he offered in that gentlemanly way he usually did. His eyes glittered with amusement as he watched her nod once, quickly averting her eyes.

Tate pulled out her chair, waiting for her to make the move. He knew this was only a simple task, but any points he scored in Charley Donavan’s book was points he knew he desperately needed. He inhaled deeply as that scent of hers, the one that reminded him so much of summer, filled his senses.

For a moment he was lost, lost in her sweetness. His eyes closed ever so slightly as he tried to regain his self-control, but he knew as long as he was around her there as no control to be found.

He pushed in her seat and she thanked him with a smile. For a second that smile dazed him and if not for his sister’s giggles that filled there air, distracting him, he would have been lost forever.

Charley looked up at Scott in relief as he greeted Kayla. He complimented her in that smooth way he did with girls and she saw a shade a pink brighten the girl’s cheeks. Scott was whispering something in her ear when Tate shifted between them, steering Kayla away from the other guy. Charley ducked her head, hiding the smile that formed on her face. It seemed Tate was all too familiar with Scott’s reputation with women.

Scott held his hands up in defence when Tate sent him a dirty look. “I was joking around with your sister. Come on man you know me.”

Tate shook his old friend’s hand. He and Scott had always been close from a young age. They’d gone camping together as boys; they’d played sports together as teenagers growing to men who picked up girls together. Yeah he knew Scott alright and he was keeping his sister as far as possible from him.

“Yeah I know you and your reputation.” Tate countered, “Remember I learnt some of my tricks from you.”

“Yeah,” Scott turned to the girls throwing his arm over Tate’s shoulder, “I am the master and this is my student.”

Charley coughed, almost choking on the water she’d been drinking. Her eyes found Tate’s sending him a questioning glare. Had he used Scott moves on her? And how many girls exactly had he used them on?

She immediately chided herself for her thoughts and quickly turned her gaze away from Tate’s but not before she caught the amused look in his eyes. She grumbled, hating that she’d been caught in the act. She shouldn’t care how many girls he’d been with or will be with for that matter, because she wasn’t interested.

She’d made a pact with herself a long time ago and she was planning to stick to it.

“Are you okay, Charley?” Kayla’s asked looking concerned.

Charley offered the sweet girl a smile. “Yes, thank you.”

Satisfied, Kayla turned her attention back to her brother who seated himself next to her. Charley’s eyes bulged. She couldn’t believe her luck today. First her necklace and now she has to spend the rest of the afternoon looking at Tate across the table from her. Slumping back in her chair she sighed.

“Everything okay?” Scott asked from beside her.

“Yeah, everything’s peachy.”

“What’s peachy?”