Why is my luck so horrible?

When I woke up the next day, my first instinct was to find Brendon. I desperately wanted to see my boyfriend, but I quickly remembered that I had Ancient Philosophy and Morals, Values, and Ethics. I couldn't do anything until after those classes were over. I groaned and reached for my phone, so I could at least send Brendon a text. I grabbed onto my phone and texted Brendon, "Happy birthday! <3." I wasn't even sure if Brendon was awake yet, but nevertheless, I needed to be the first to wish him a happy birthday.

To my surprise, Brendon replied while I was in the dining hall, eating my breakfast. Usually, he wasn't up that early. "Thanks Ryro," he texted me. He quickly followed that up by texting me, "Do you have any plans for tonight? ;)"

"Not yet," I replied. "How about you?"

"I'm probably just going to hang out at the Aubergine all day," Brendon texted. "Can you meet me there?"

"I'll be there as soon as my classes finish up," I wrote.

"Okay," Brendon texted. "See you there! :D <3"

I put my phone back into my pocket, finished my breakfast, and headed to the Hildebrant Building for my first class, filled with the joy that came with knowing that I would see Brendon soon. Normally, I loved Ancient Philosophy, but I couldn't focus. My mind always returned to Brendon, and I once again wished that the clock could move just a little bit faster so I could see him sooner. Four hours seemed far too long to wait to see Brendon on his birthday. Of course, I didn't have the power to make time go faster, but that didn't stop me from wishing that my classes would end sooner so I could spend the whole day with Brendon.

After Morals, Values, and Ethics, I left campus, but the Hildebrant Building was the farthest place on campus from the Aubergine. It took me forever to walk to Flack Hall so I could pick up Brendon's gift, and it took me even longer to make it into downtown Old Haven. By the time I got there, I was starving, so I stopped at the bagel shop on the corner of 4th and Fremont Street and bought myself a bagel. I ate the bagel on my to the Aubergine, and after what felt like far too long, I found myself in front of that neon purple sign again.

I opened the door and saw that the Aubergine was nearly empty. It was early in the afternoon, so that made sense. Nobody came to the Aubergine this early, except for Brendon apparently. I looked around for him, but before I could go anywhere, he came stumbling towards me with a peach and lime daiquiri in his hand. Already, I could tell that Brendon was drunk. Tomorrow, I told myself. Tomorrow, I'll fix this mess.

"Ryan," he slurred. "Finally! You're here. I thought you'd never get here."

"I'm here now, Brendon," I said with a smile.

"I don't feel great, Ryan," Brendon said.

"How much have you had to drink?" I asked as I set the record player aside.

"I don't know," Brendon said as he stumbled over to the piano and leaned against the instrument. "I always lose count. Ryan, do you remember when you first told me about that crazy theory you had about how the piano knows something you don't know?" I nodded, and Brendon said, "I meant everything I said that night."

I didn't have the heart to tell Brendon that I didn't remember every detail of that night, so I just nodded along. As he rambled and took a few more sips from his drink, I noticed that Brendon's skin was slowly turning pale. "Are you okay?" I asked him.

"Well if you wanted honesty, that's all you had to say..." Brendon said, but that wasn't a real answer to the question.

"I'm serious, Brendon," I said. "Are you okay?" Brendon nodded weakly, and then collapsed onto the floor. "BRENDON!" I shouted as I sat down next to him.