There's Hope in Hell

CHAPTER 6

I started to walk down the deserted hallway, making my way to a bathroom I had no clue where was. My body felt drained. My mind down the deepest depths of sadness. I was mourning my life.

"Kacey? What happened?" The one person I didn't want to see was approaching me from the opposite way of the hall. It was Mark.

"Like you don't know!"

He looked taken aback "I don't. Please tell me."

"Go ask your fucking bitch of a girlfriend!" I shouted and crumpled in a heap of tears.

Mark pulled me to the floor with him. I used the locker behind me for support. "Please just tell me."

I didn't know if to trust him but at that point I had no one.

I quickly recounted the story to him tas best as I could without stuttering or sniffling. By time I was finished I knew he was fuming.

"I'm going to kill all of those bastards!"

"No Mark, please!" I begged, grabbing his arm to prevent him, "that would only make things worse."

He glanced towards me and sighed. Watching my tear streaked face, his instantly softened, "Alright fine, but I insist that you need to get Rhys back or I will."

"And your girlfriend? Not her? The one who orchestrated the whole thing?" I scoffed in disbelief.

"She could be extra at times but I'm sure she didn't mean for it to get so out of hand."

"So what? Now you're defending Kiera?" I croaked still feeling more tears trying to fall.

"No it's just-well um-"He stuttered and I knew at once why.

"I forgot...you love her, don't you?" I asked, not wanting to hear the answer.

"Yes."

I abruptly stood up. Maybe I wanted to hear a different answer but I guess nothing that day was to go in my favour.

"But wait, Lace." He grabbed onto my wrist and pulled me back onto the floor. With one hand he grabbed my chin and turned it to face him.

"What else is there to say Mark? I've heard enough."

"I love you too."

This was too much to bear. Two guys in one day who both said they loved me. My heart couldn't take it if both of them were lying to me. It's true I loved Mark when we were together and if I had to admit it to myself I was sure I still had feelings for him.

"Y-you do?"

"Yes I do and I want you to forget about everything in the past and all the negative things for me." He whispered. His face was so close that I felt his cool breath hit my upper lip.

"You're just saying that to make me feel better."

"No I swear. Lace, I never once stopped loving you. And the day you walked back into my life. I felt it open up like wound that was never supposed to close."

"I love you too," I admitted to him, feeling some small glimpse of hope. But him and I both knew the situation was different and now a third person's come into play. Things couldn't just go back to how they use to be

We sat there in silence for an awkward minute until he finally spoke.

"We'll figure that out later, but for now we have to get through today." He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his chest. His sweet cologne filled my nostrils, reminding me of honeysuckle and pine.

I don't know how long we just sat there, but the bell hollered throughout the corridors, signalling that 5th period was over. I groaned and looked up at his face. He gave me one comforting smile and kissed me on my forehead. My whole body tingled and I couldn't believe that I forgot how comfortable it had always been around him.

"I got to head to class, Lace. You okay now?" He asked, using the nickname he only calls me by.

The nickname he created when we were six months together. Moving from first base to second base. We were both a trainwreck of nerves. As he pulled my skirt down with trembling fingers and saw my lace panty he accidentally called me it instead of Kace. Of course, that killed the awkwardness one time. And we laughed hysterically at his slip up.

Students would be coming into the corridors, heading to the next period now and if any one of them saw Mark and I together, Keira would be the first to know. I scrambled up from Mark's hold and gave him a knowing smile as I retreated. He winked, and automatically my spirit was lifted. I still felt like the world of shit but it felt like I'd have a bit of hope to look forward to.

As I entered the bathroom I stared at myself in the mirror and cringed. My mascara was stained down my pale white face, making me almost look ghostly and my eyes were puffy and bright red. Not to mention that my nose was cherry pink. I washed my face thoroughly and tried to tidy up as best as I could.

I studied myself once more before heading to the door. Everyone must be in class already I thought but then the doorknob turned. I quickly jerked back and ran to a stall before whoever was there spotted me.

"Can you believe that bitch?" I heard a voice that was too familiar but I really didn't want to hear.

"No but I can't believe she actually fell for your trick." Candice's voice purred.

"I wish she would just go back to where she came from or die or something. No one wants her here anyway." Keira spat.

Wow, whoever said 'words can never hurt you' was dead wrong. Keira and Candice's words struck me and made me feel to break down crying once more. That was my tipping point. After ten minutes of silence, I peeked out of the bathroom making sure they were gone before speeding down the corridor and out of the building.

I couldn't stand to stay in that hellhole any longer.