Chapter 9: Reconnection

A/N: This chapter is very important to understanding both the character of Mel and the plot I came up with that will likely start taking affect after this chapter.

This is also one extremely long scene, reaching a little over 4,000 words. Just a heads-up for its longer length.

---

As soon as Mel heard the twist of the doorknob, her eyes instantly widened. She was kind of hoping no one heard her knock. Upon instinct, she quickly turned to face the door again, mentally preparing to introduce herself or something. But the sight that she was greeted with took her by surprise. Perhaps it was the male that stood before her more than the pose he was in, but nonetheless she didn't really know what to make of it.

"That's a nice way to say hello, Toby..." she muttered, glancing at the hatchet that he held up high, as if he was about to hack her to pieces just like he hacked up her ex-boyfriend a long time ago. She crossed her arms over her chest as she glanced him over. He didn't seem to change much since the last she saw him.

But she knew she changed. Not only had she grown slightly taller, but her hair was longer. Her figure a little less bony than before.

Her dark blue eyes narrowed on him for a few moments, before her face lit up in a bright smile. "I'm glad to see you're okay," she stated, though her eyes were laced with confusion and shock. She thought something terrible had happened to him or something. She was worried and concerned for him – the person who called her a pet, yet whom she considered a friend. She let out a small sigh, shuffling her feet silently. If he was going to use his hatchet, she was hoping it would at least cut through her anxiety upon returning.

If Toby hadn't already said nothing, he'd be speechless now, as the girl chided him for his less than pleasant "greeting." He noticed she looked a bit different, a bit older, a bit taller, a bit fuller. He wondered if anything else had changed, as he finally stood up right and lowered his hatchet, still plagued by random twitches all the while. "M-Mel..." That was his hello, as lacking in social skills as ever.

Perhaps she hadn't changed too much though, as he saw the large smile that came across her face. His gaze softened at the sight. It was so familiar, a welcome thing for him to have, for once. He saw the confusion in her eyes though, just as surprised as he was, it seemed, to see the other. But why? His head tilted slightly in wonder, silently wanting to question her.

Who was she to him? Not a stranger, but... He glanced back at her, some form of fondness clearly there for her, but still he found himself wondering what she was to him. She was...his...Toby frowned beneath his face mask, unsure what to call her anymore. Did the other terms even apply anymore? They hadn't seen each other in months. And she came back here of her own accord. Why?

She simply gave a small nod as he said her name, the simple word easily bringing a sparkle to her eyes. Was it because he actually remembered her? Or was it that despite the time that had passed, he still managed to make her name sound beautiful to her? She couldn't figure it out.

Who was she to Toby? She had disappeared for quite some time, after all. Surely, knowing him, he wouldn't know what to say, if asked the question. But she did. No amount of time could change how she felt about him.

Toby was a very good friend of hers. She knew exactly what she knew Toby was to her. No hesitation at all, nor any doubt in her mind. She was still loyal to him – she could feel it. Already growing protective of the masked, hatchet-wielding killer. As if she was still his little 'Pet.' Perhaps she was. She didn't care at that moment, though. She was happy she got to see him again, and it was clear to see on her face. No matter what, she had a gentle smile tugging at the corners of her lips, and her gaze was soft. It lost the coldness she used to have while she was alone. It was as if it all melted away as soon as he opened the door. As if nothing about her had changed.