Chapter 3: Broken

A/N: Art Credit goes to Kastoway, I believe.

---

 It was beginning to rain. Crim had left the two proxies, but Tim's heart was still pounding in his chest at what had nearly happened. Toby and Crim were ready to kill each other...And Crim had almost attacked Toby. She stopped herself though. Somewhat.

Toby's hatchets were away, but Tim was wrong to think that was the end of it, as Toby gave him a shove, causing him to stumble back slightly.

"You s-still think she should b-b-be here!?" Toby yelled.

"It's not my choice!" the masked man yelled back. "You know that!"

"Sh-She tried to attack me," he argued, using any excuse he could find.

"She didn't. She stopped herself! Stop trying to start shit."

The goggled killer stared at him, neck cracking once more. Clearly he didn't want to hear a word he had to say. "I'm trying to finish it, I'm doing w-what sh-sh-sh-ould be done."

"Then take it up with the Operator." The masked man didn't want to hear it. Toby's dedication to seeing things through usually was an aid rather than a hindrance. But that was because he was usually following orders. "Those are his orders, not mine, Toby."

The man with the grinning face mask paused, actually backing up a bit as he walked slightly back and forth. He stared at him, not say anything else. It didn't seem like he knew what to say, until the words, "Fuck off," were muttered, and he turned to leave.

It didn't take long for Tim to figure out what had gotten him to back down. "You don't want to, do you?" he questioned the other proxy, following after him. "You don't want to tell the Operator, because that means you'll have to hear that you're wrong. You'll have to hear that you made a mistake." He connected the pieces together.

Toby didn't say anything, just continued walking with his eyes transfixed to the slowly muddying ground. That was when the masked man knew he was right. The small sense of pride that granted him was quickly replaced by outrage.

"Is winning really that important to you? Winning that stupid competition between us?" Tim was getting mad now. "You're causing all this trouble, just so you can remain the Operator's favorite!? How selfish and idiotic can you be!?"

"Shut up," Toby growled, still staring at the ground. "You have no idea what you're t-talking...about."

"Don't I? You've been trying to take my place since day one. You already mainly succeeded long ago. If it weren't for your eagerness to kill, your excitement to murder before giving it reason, you would have!"

Toby was getting worked up again, making it more and more difficult to talk. "Th-th-that's n-not....i...it."

"Stop deluding yourself, Toby," he said, sounding annoyed. "That's always been it. You're a bloodthirsty maniac."

"IT'S THE ONLY THING I HAVE! It's all g-gone!" He suddenly burst out, whirling on the masked man, who just stood there and stared, like he hadn't had a clue. Or maybe he was just shocked. Toby's voice quieted. "All of it...Do I really have to s-s-spell it out for you?" He ground out, irritation in his tone. "L-L-Lyra...M-m-m-mom...They're all gone. I can never see them ag-again...I thought maybe you would get that, Tim.

"...Serving him is all I have left..."

The Operator. The Slenderman. The faceless one. He took him away from his awful life, gave him a new one, but it was all he could do now. Call him over zealous, dedicated, loyal, insane, psychopathic, cruel. It was all he had left.