Perks of Promotion

•L/N: Last Name
•E/C: Eye Color

________________________________
Your POV:
________________________________

________________________________Your POV:________________________________

"Miss L/N..." I shift in response to faintly hearing my name being called by a near-silent voice, but thought nothing of it as I relaxed again.

"Miss L/N, I please ask that you wake up." I groan softly before opening my eyes in response to feeling a light tap on my shoulder and am greeted by the dark dormitories. I rub the tired, E/C orbs as I sit up, then turn my attention to the woman at my bedside, whose features I could not make out at first until the haze of my mind cleared and my vision adjusted to the darkness of the room. I'm surprised to find it's one of the emerald maids and give her a questioning look.

"What's going on? Did something happen?" I ask quietly with a hint of worry in my tone, since I did not want to wake any of the sleeping figures around me. My immediate thought was that perhaps it had something to do with the King, which would make sense; after all, I'm the one who tends to comfort him when he has nightmares. Although, I've never been summoned during the night. The thought of him possibly calling for me at a time like this disturbed me. "Is it the King?" I ask, accidentally showing distaste in my voice, but she, thankfully, brushed it off, likely thinking I was just grouchy from being woken up.

"Nothing has happened, miss. I was just told to take you to your new room. I'm sorry to do it so early, but his majesty ordered that as soon as the room was prepared to take you to it," she explains calmly, which put me slightly at ease.

"New room?" I squint my brows in confusion once her words registered.

'What on Earth would I get a new room for?' She nods and opens the trunk at the foot of my bed to empty it. I'm handed my few belongings as I slip out of bed. She, then, motions for me to follow her out, and I do so without complaint. After the door is shut behind us, she explains further.

"With your new promotion, his majesty thought it fitting to assign you a new living space along with a new uniform."

"Ah, I see," I mutter to myself as we start to walk.

"Congratulations, by the way. What is your rank now?" I remain silent for a moment and turn my gaze to the floor as a nervous look invades my eyes.

"The King's personal maid." A look of shock crosses her face followed by fear and pity.

"Oh, I'm... I'm so sorry." It seemed like she didn't know what to say to me at that moment, and her words only made me feel worse. I force a smile on my face that was so convincing, it surprised her.

"Hey, don't feel sorry. I have been working closely with him for a while now, anyway, so it probably won't be so different from what I've been doing. He just makes me a bit nervous, that's all." She nods in understanding and gives me a light smile back before checking the clipboard in her hand.