Prologue: Suit Guy

Start from the beginning

The sun was finally setting and the array of colors stopped me in my tracks for a brief second.

I closed my eyes and enjoyed the gust of wind that had presented itself. The view was beautiful, and I knew I would enjoy this for a long time. Sadly, the sun soon had fallen completely out of the sky and I knew it was time for me to get back inside.

I decided to do a little more job hunting on my laptop and came up with a few good options.

I was deciding between a café and an office.
I was leaning more towards the café because it's flexible hours. On the other hand, I think that the office would be better seeing as I am a law major.

I tossed the computer aside and plopped back on the bed dramatically.

So many things were running through my mind at this time. I was trying everything to push through and become what I wanted to be but my parents always play at the back of my mind.

I've been trying to make them proud, to capture their attention, or to make them love me like they used to but I realized it'll never be that way again and so I started choosing for me.

In my heart, I knew that I did want to be a law major despite it still being a part of their plans for me.

Starvation was getting the best of me so I made my way to the kitchen.

Ana was sitting there, sipping a cup of coffee.

"I heard you were busy earlier" ,I mumbled with a sly grin.

She chuckled and whispered, "You should have been busy too, and let someone pop that cherry of yours. You've been in college for about 3 weeks now and you haven't seen any hot guys?"

"Mariana, I already told you I'm not looking for that right now. No one has captured my attention long enough for me to think about doing... that," I say with a shrug.

"You're no fun," she says with a pout.

I throw a grape at her forehead and her mouth gapes open in shock before she flicks me off.

A satisfied grin crosses my face and I go back to eating my grapes.

"There's a party tonight at one of the frat houses. Do you want to come with me?," she asks in sweet, persuasive tone.

"Are you going to ditch me for a guy?," I ask with a smirk on my face.

"I promise, I won't," she says.

"Ok, I'll go with you," I state.

She claps her hands together excitedly and drags me to God knows where.

***

It was a few hours later now.

She had finally picked an outfit for me and finished touching up my makeup.

I hate to admit I was looking pretty good, definitely not my usual self. I was wearing a sky blue skirt, a black tube top, black heels to match, paired with hoop earrings, and my custom made necklace. My hair was straightened and pushed back, flowing smoothly down my back.

I felt as if tonight was going to bring something new, but I guess it's just my nerves talking.

***

It's been 3 hours and Ana still hasn't returned.

I should've known better and known I shouldn't have came to this stupid party.

Ana and I were having fun, dancing up a storm and drinking a few too many drinks. Then, she met this guy and disappeared with him. She said she'd be right back, and I chose to believe her.

At least, my night wasn't all bad.

The bartender was keeping me occupied, however, and I couldn't help but notice how sexy he was. I could tell that he worked out, his muscles poked through his shirt and my mouth watered at the site.

I wasn't going to push anything though, he had a girlfriend and I am focused on school at the moment.

I want zero distractions.

I was knocked back into reality when this guy in a suit came to the bar and asked for whiskey on the rocks. He sat next to me, but I wasn't paying him any attention and he wasn't paying attention to me either.

He was talking to Leo, the bartender, they seemed to be in a heated conversation.
I could make out snips and pieces.

"Your mother is worried about you, and she says you have been coming home late at night. She wants to make sure you're alright and she knows you listen to me so here I am. You know I have a busy work schedule, so for me to come here and talk to you is making matters from bad to worse. Stop staying out so late, Leo," the guy in the suit says.

"I'm a grown man, she needs to stop worrying about me so much. She knows that I'm only with Kia at night because she works all day," Leo says.

I stop listening after that because it felt like a really personal conversation.

I nursed my drink and after a few minutes, they were done. Leo said his goodbyes to me and left while suit guy took a seat right next to me. I finally took a good look at his face and he was devilishly handsome. We made eye contact and I turned away shyly, my cheeks flushed.

I finished my drink and decided I'd head home when I finally figured that Mariana was not coming back for me.

I stood up and my legs felt like jelly, buckling underneath me. I was ready to meet the cold, hard surface of the ground, but warm hands wrapped around my waist protectively.

I took a sharp breath and opened up my eyes to meet the most beautiful brown eyes I'd ever seen. He was studying me as well like I was the only thing that mattered in this room. A smirk crosses his face and he brings me back up to my feet.

I started feeling my heart throbbing in my chest and I completely blacked out.

_____