Chapter 23

Arthur's POV

"Arthur!!" A voice much like my own screams desperately at me. "Arthur, are you okay!?" It continues. Its overly warm hands grip my shoulders and shake me gently in a panic

My eyes flicker open like an old projector changing slides, mechanically, abruptly.

There's nothing more honest than pain. The dull yet harsh throbbing in the back of my skull is proof of this. As much as we hate pain, it's a sign that we are alive. It is a sign that we still have a chance to live. If you are wounded and the pain fades on its own without healing, then your fate is very unfair. For those who have never known true pain, I envy you. I envy the bittersweet ignorance you carry with you. Pain changes you. Pain shows you the truth in the world. It's not just some beautiful place filled with kindness. Yes, it has beauty and kindness, but it also has a terrifyingly ugly and cruel side to it. That is how pain is honest.

I slowly rise into a sitting position, with the help of my demon self and look around. I'm where I always end up when I'm unconscious, the empty, hollow black room.

Silvery green eyes gaze at me with concern and curiosity. "Art," his voice is gentle as it echoes within my head, "what happened?" His mirror image face of mine contorts into a deep frown, showing off wrinkles that'll eventually make themselves known without the expression.

"We were ambushed," I get out slowly. My mouth feels as if it's full of cotton balls and I can still taste the blood that tainted the air. I feel nauseous as I remember the chaotic scene.

"Did the others make it out okay?" He asks me frowning deeper, as if it were possible on a normal human's face.

I try to remember what happened to the others, but all I can recall is screaming, the stench of blood, and the chaos of it all. I shake my head in uncertainty. "I'm not sure," I murmur as a frown of my own appears.

"We need to get you out of here," he states, helping me to my feet.

"I thought the only way for that to happen is to have Alfred nearby." I say still in a blurry daze of confusion. I feel myself wobble on my feet, only to be steadied by the winged demon.

"Well, that's only when you've been cursed," he says, supporting me, "right now, you're just unconscious."

I nod and then wince in regret as my head fills with a splitting pain. "Gotcha."

"Sorry, Art, but I'm gonna have to knock you unconscious again," he says with a pained look on his face.

"Wha-," I'm cut off as more pain erupts from the back of my head, and I fall heavily to the cold, hollow ground.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alfred's POV

I can't get to him.

I woke up in a circle of mountain ash, a sort of powder that werewolves cannot cross, meaning I'm stuck in a tiny ass circle when Arthur is in chains and a few feet away.

All werewolves are surrounded by mountain ash while Arthur sits in the center of the room, held down by what looks like iron chains attached to his ankles and wrists.

Everyone is quiet, most of them are still unconscious, but I woke up first, thanks to Arthur trying to save me.

Arthur...

My heart sinks like an anchor, heavy with guilt. He wouldn't be here if it weren't for me..

He's only a human.