thirty-one | january

—January 1st—

Rowan loved January, it was warm so she could shorts and she loved the warmth of the sun on the back of her neck. But she hated New Year's day.

On New Year's Day, 2017, Rowan spent her day shopping for lavender perfume. She had been running out and needed some more to keep up her ruse. Michael said that Luke adored lavenders, and Rowan suspected that maybe Michael dyed his hair for that same reason.

-

Michael hated January, he never wanted to leave the house and the amount of insects outside terrified him. He hardly left his room, but he always went out on New Year's Day.

On New Year's Day, 2017, Michael took the same stroll around the plaza he did every year. He would sweat and his cheeks would flush red, but he just kept walking. Because the New Year's Day stroll was something like a tradition. It was something Drew had made him do ever since they became roommates. But walking without Drew was lonely. Usually, his friend would chatter the whole walk, telling Michael stories and rumors he had heard floating around.

A silent walk wasn't something Michael enjoyed. So he finished his stroll quickly and went back to air conditioned apartment, reminiscing his days with Drew.

-

Ashton didn't usually like January. In the years past he thought the same as Michael, that it wasn't worth leaving the house and that blazing hot days were meant to be spent inside. But today, Ashton had become a fan of January. It was a new year and a new start for him.

On New Year's Day, 2017, Ashton had finally talked to his school about returning for the remainder of the semester. He knew it would only be two weeks long before the next school year, but he was proud of himself for taking this step forward. And the only person even more proud of Ashton, other than Ashton was Calum.

Calum felt indifferent towards January. It was just another month to him, so like every day other day, he tended to his store.

On New Year's Eve, 2017, the only unusual thing that happened to Calum was Ashton running into his shop with the wildest grin on his face. He had reapplied and would be returning soon, and that excited Calum so much. He wouldn't say it aloud, but Ashton had made so much progress and he was so incredibly impressed by it. 

He didn't smell like booze, he had motivation to return to school, and that's all Calum wanted from Ashton. He just wanted his responsible best friend back. And at that moment he felt like he did.

-

Luke liked January, mainly because it was a warm month and he would often go out to get ice cream with his girlfriend.

On New Year's Eve, 2017, Luke laid on a stiff, twin mattress with pillows too flat to support his neck. The sheets were thin and did not warm him and there was no one next to him. This saddened him, and it worried the nurses taking care of him, as they had no idea how to cheer him up. So they remained bystanders to Luke's loneliness as his tears streaked down his cheeks.

-

It was a new year.

But it was still the same shit as before.

With even more  complications.

a/n: short chapter again sorry!

it was in a different style than the other chapters purely for the effect it gave off

i completely forgot weather in australia is the opposite in america

thanks xx