Chapter 23

23.

“Omar are you ready to go?” I say walking into Zane’s office stepping on a candy bar wrapper. I pick it up and scowl at it. Pigs.

 “Hold on, I want to ask dad if I can go over Zane’s house and play games.” Omar says packing his stuff.

 “I thought we were going to ask him if Zane could play games at our house though, wasn’t that the plan?” I say not liking where this was going.

 “Well I thought about it and it would be weird if a grown guy came to our place especially because dad is his boss and stuff. Zane offered to pick me up too.” Omar says standing now in front of me and grabbing the empty candy wrapper sticking it in his pocket for only God knows what.

 I don’t know what to say to object to the idea because it was actually not that bad. I could always offer to take Omar to Zane’s house and be able to hang for a while without getting caught. “Okay, that’s fine. But hurry and find dad before he leaves.”

 “I’m on it! Zane you should come to so my dad believes me.” Omar says looking at Zane waiting for his answer.

 “No problem. Just let me get my stuff ready and I will be right there.” Zane says eyeing me up and then retreating back to his desk stuffing papers into folders and random objects into drawers.

 Omar left the room in search for my father while I stayed. Alone, in a room with Zane.

 “So we should hit the beach sometime.” I suggest remembering I invited him along that day at the party.

 Zane looks up worried. “What if your parents find out?” He says scratching his head.

 I bite my lip thinking of how they would be able to find out. I wanted Zane and Rob to meet. If I got someone’s blessing that would be something right? “They work all the time, they barely notice. Plus I don’t think they will drive an hour up just to spy on me.” I say thinking of the paranoia I just casted on myself.

 “I guess your right. When would we go? It’s only Monday babe.” Zane says in setback.

 “This weekend?” I suggest. “We could even bring Omar, just so my parents wont get too suspicious.”

 “But then we wont get to spend time together.” Zane says with a frown. “I mean if your brother knew about us, which I think you should tell him the truth. Then it wouldn’t matter. I would be able to touch you in public more often.”

 He wanted to spend time with me alone? And touch me in public? God, why? I feel my heart ache for Zane and don’t know what the feeling is but if he were ever to be taken away from me I don’t think I would be able to live.

 “I don’t know Zane. We just told him you were with Tori today. I don’t know how he would take it if we spring that on him. I want him to trust us, not think we are liars.” I say not wanting to lose my brothers trust as well.

 “You’re right, how about by the end of the week when we go to the beach we will tell him. Layla, I want to be able to say we are together. He would understand, he’s ten!” Zane says now coming up to me. I look into green eyes and smile.

 “Okay.” I whisper not really being able to process his words.

 “Wonderful. Have a nice night baby. I will see you tomorrow.” Zane says giving me a quick peck on the lips before walking out of his office. I follow him and wait for him to lock the door.

 “I’ll see you. Bye.” I say waving and heading down to my father’s office. Omar is grinning like a maniac and telling my dad about his awesome day.