"I don't know why I bothered," I murmur. "You obviously have some issues."

I hear him snort and I smile.

"I have some issues too- we're the same in that sense. I wonder what happened to you."

I don't know why I'm talking to a horse who has no idea what I'm saying. Maybe a part of me thinks he can understand.

Maybe it just feels good to talk to someone other than a therapist.

"I- I have a lot of issues," I state quietly, glancing down at my wrists.

I don't have a lot of scars- I never cut as bad as Chey, and even when I did they were always shallow. They healed well with time.

Still, you can see a few white marks on my left wrist, proof of the horrible things I've done. My right wrist is clean, as I've never brought a blade to it.

"You know, I shouldn't even be here," I whisper. "Sure, I have a lot of issues. At least, I had a lot if issues. But now all I have is memories. Some good and some bad. But memories nonetheless. I shouldn't be here. This obviously isn't helping me."

I close my eyes and lean my head against the wooden door that fences Trigger into his confinement.

Images of Chey lying on the floor in a pool of her blood flash through my mind.

I snap my eyes open, surprised by the tears that have started flowing down my face. I quickly stand to my feet, trying to steady my rapid breathing.

I feel a light pressure on my back that turns out to be Trigger nuzzling me. A strangled chuckle escapes my lips, and I reach out to stroke his face.

For a moment, he lets me run my hand down his face. Then he suddenly pulls backwards, moving into the farthest corner of his stall.

I sigh and turn around, gasping when I see Avery standing in the doorway of the barn with Feather.

"God, you scared me to death," I hiss, wiping my eyes to make sure there isn't any trace of moisture from my most recent emotional breakdown.

"Sorry," he replies, though he has a look of what appears to be awe on his face. "You know- that's the first time since he's been here that Trigger has let someone touch him willingly. It's even more surprising that he initiated it."

"So?" I snap. "What does that mean."

"It means he's connected to you- that for some reason, he trusts you a tiny bit more than he trusts us. Maybe not by a lot, but a tiny bit," he explains. "It means you have a real shot at training him."

"You're forgetting one little detail- I know nothing about horses," I sass, glancing over at Trigger.

"I can teach you," he shrugs. I turn to him in surprise, tilting my head.

"Why would you do that?" I ask, my voice rid of all resentment for the first time in this conversation.

"Trigger deserves this much- so what do you say, Grey?"

I frown at his nickname for me, shooting daggers at him with my gaze.

"Fine- and don't call me Grey," I snap, though my voice has lost some of its venom.

"Meet me by Trigger's stall at 5:30 tomorrow morning," he says, offering a small smile. "-Grey"

"My name is Grace, not Grey."

--------------

"Morning," Ivy chirps, sitting down beside me at the table.

"Good morning," I quietly reply, giving her a small smile.

A guy with blonde hair- I can't remember if he's Jesse or Aaron- takes the other seat next to me.

"Well hello gorgeous," he states, flashing a grin at me that I'm sure makes most girls go crazy.

Grace uses 'forcefield' - it's super effective!

In other words, I'm immune to it.

"Not interested," I chime musically, before shooting him a killer glare.

"Buzz off Jesse," Laurel laughs, coming up behind him. "This is my seat."

"Does it have your name on it?" Jesse chuckles, raising an eyebrow.

"No- but I have a fist right here with your name all over it if you don't move," Laurel cooly replies.

Jesse raises his hands in surrender and moves, taking his food with him.

"Don't pay Jesse any mind- he flirts with anything and anyone. Seriously. I don't even think he notices he's doing it anymore. It's just how he communicates," Ivy giggles, eyeing Jesse.

I glance down to the end of the table where Piper and Aaron are sitting.

"They look similar- are they related," I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah. Twins. Not identical, but still," Laurel explains.

I almost ask what happened that put them both here, but I don't. I decide not to let the curiosity get the better of me.

Chrissie flops down in a seat by Avery, who is sitting alone at one end of the table. She whispers something to him that causes him to smile.

"Why are they so close?" I quietly question, looking at both Ivy and Laurel for answers.

"We don't know- no one does. He's just really nice to her and she attached herself of him. When she wakes up screaming- he's the only one who can calm her," Ivy states, her voice hushed.

I shrug my shoulders and dip my spoon in my bowl of cereal.

When I put the food in my mouth, I notice that, while I was talking, it turned soggy.

Lovely.

Just freaking lovely.

A/N

Hey! Sorry for the wait. hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Have a great day!

Outfit will be on my Instagram (@sparkybark17)