Chapter 15

I wake up early, trying to press the thoughts of last night's shocking revelations out of my mind.

I dig through my clothes, wishing I had put them in the closet when I arrived.

Without taking too much time to think about it, I settle on a pair of blue jeans that have rips in the knees, and a grey t-shirt that reads 'I Put the 'Hot' in Psychotic.'

I feel like it suits me.

I slide into a pair of black cowboy boots and head out the barn.

The sun has just come up, and dew still coats the grass.

I take a deep breath, the cool morning air helping me to wake up.

I hear the steady sound of hooves beating across the floor somewhere, and follow the sound.

I spot Avery standing in the center of the round ring. His horse, whose name I can't remember, is loping around the ring.

I saw Ivy do this with Blue yesterday, but she used a whip and what she called a 'lunge line.' Avery has nothing in his hands to make the horse do anything.

I stand watching in awe, admiring their bond. I don't speak, not wanting to interrupt their moment.

The horse runs till her breathing is labored. I almost speak up and tell Avery to let her stop, but I bite my tongue.

Avery does a gesture with his hands, and the horse stops moving. He beckons to the animal, who in turn walks up to Avery.

Their bond is so strong I can almost sense it in the air, as if a magnet were pulling them to each other.

Avery rests his forehead against the horses face, and takes a deep breath. He looks sad and deep in thought.

"What were you doing," I ask, causing him to jump in surprise.

"What are you doing up?" he snaps, collecting himself. His expression hardens as he looks over me judgmentally.

"I couldn't sleep," I mutter, shrugging my shoulders. "What are you doing up?"

He shakes his head, and turns back to his horse.

"I was just lunging Feather before everyone woke up," he states, shrugging his shoulder as he scratches the mare's shoulder.

I observe the horse for a minute, trying to determine what color she is. Her coat is a light tan that reminds me of a horse in a Pixar movie I saw when I was younger- I think it was called 'Ghost' or 'Spirit' or something along those lines.

"What color would you call that," I ask, nodding towards the horse.

"Feather? She's a buckskin," he snorts mockingly.

"Hey," I snap, annoyed. "I'm new at this. At least I'm trying."

I spin on my heels start walking toward the barn.

"Ass," I murmur to myself.

I slow down once I get into the barn. I peek into each of the stalls, looking at the horses.

When I see Diesel, I smile and reach out to scratch the side of his face, on what looks like his cheek. He bobs his head lightly up and down causing me to chuckle.

"Hey boy," I coo, before moving on the the next horse.

I slowly walk down the aisle, looking for a specific horse.

"Hey Trigger," I cautiously greet when I see him.

He lifts his gaze to glance at me, before going back to ignoring me. I sigh and sit down on the floor, leaning against his stall door.