Chapter 37

Avery left first, and I followed a few minutes later.

        On my way downstairs, I run into Marc. He examines my expression and smiles.

        "I take it you two made up about whatever you were fighting about?" he asks, a knowing smile on his face.

        "I don't know what you're talking about," I chuckle.

        "Oh really? So I'm guessing that hickey on your neck just magically appeared?" he asks, raising an eyebrow. 

        My eyes widen, and my hands snap up to cover my neck.

        "What?"

        He smiles, amused. "So you two are together," he laughs.

        I narrow my eyes at him, a scowl on my face.

        "There is no hickey on my neck, is there?"

        He doesn't answer, just laughs. 

        "You ass!" I mutter, lightly punching his shoulder. I brush past him and make my way down the stairs.

        "So I was right?" he calls from behind me.

        "Not talking to you!" I chime musically, storming off.

        I head outside, and towards the barn. 

        When I turn into the aisleway, I spot Tessa standing in front of one of the horses stalls- a black Standardbred named Starlight, I believe.

        I almost turn and leave, not wanting to be around her. I don't, however, because I made a promise to Avery that I'd try to be nice. 

      "Hey," I say reluctantly. She turns her head, noticing me for the first time, and I offer a small smile. "You must be Tessa. I'm Grace."

        Tessa smiles at me. "Right. Trigger is your horse, correct?" 

        I nod. "Yeah. Well, not my horse, but my horse while I'm here."

        "Avery told me about how you trained him," she states, the smile never leaving her face. "He said it was quite impressive."

        "Well I didn't do it alone," I say. "Avery helped."

        "Don't be so modest," she chuckles. She pauses for a moment before her blue eyes meet mine. "You two are together, aren't you."

        The way she says it, its not a question- it's a statement. She already knows. 

        "Yes," I reply, not wanting to hide it from her. She's his best friend. If Jace were in his right mind right now, I'd have told him. "Did Avery tell you?"

        She shakes her head. "No. I can just tell from the way he talks about you. It's obvious he's crazy about you."

        I feel a blush creeping to my cheeks, though I try to hide my reaction. 

        "You won't tell anyone, will you?" I ask.

        "Don't worry- secrets safe with me," she chuckles. "Oh, and Grace?"

        "Yeah?"

        "I really don't want you to think I'm a bitch," she starts. "But because Avery is my best friend, I have to say this."

        I nod. "Okay."

        "If you ever hurt him, I will break your wrist. Wait, that sounded too violent. If you hurt him I'll- hurt you?" she questions to herself. "Sorry, I've never had to threaten anyone before! I'm bad at this!"