Chapter 43

I wake up cold and alone, in my bed for the first time in over a week.

"Shit," I mumble to myself, remembering the events of last night. Jesse must have migrated back to his room, because he's nowhere in sight.

I groan, glancing down at the light purple, hand shaped bruises on my arms.

I can't believe he put his hands on me in that way.

I always thought of Avery as someone who would never hurt me. He's always been so kind and gentle with me, if not a little jealous. I've only known him for a little over a month, but in that time, he has become my safety.

And now?

Everything has changed.

Everything is different because I can't stop picturing his hands on her face, her arms on his neck. His lips on hers.

Even if he was truly trying to push her away, nothing will ever be the same again because of the way he handled it.

I have bruises- proof of the pain he caused.

Proof that he hurt me.

Maybe there was a time I'd be able to forgive that.

But I've seen what happens when a girl like me gets too deep in a relationship with a guy like Avery.

Justin was sweet to Chey in the beginning, too. Maybe if she had left him the first time he hit her, she would still be alive.

I swore to myself I'd never let myself end up like Chey.

Stretching, I pull myself out of the safety of my bed. I have to go downstairs sometime, but I'm not ready yet.

I run into my bathroom, and look at my face in the mirror.

Tear stains.

I definitely need to get rid of the tear stains.

I splash cold water on my face, which reduces some of the redness on my face.

I pull out my eyeliner and sweep it across my lid, putting it on much thicker than I normally would. Then I do my mascara, using more of it than is considered normal.

I look at my face in the mirror and frown. I feel different than yesterday, changed.

But I look the same.

My eyes flit to a small pair of scissors I have sitting in my makeup bag, and a small grin comes across my face.

I lift them up, and snip at the air.

Then my eyes land on my long, blond hair.

----------------------------------------------

I smile, pleased with my reflection.

My hair no longer flows down my back. Rather, it falls to my shoulders. With the natural waves of my hair, it looks cute.

I shake my head slightly, letting my hair find its place to fall on my shoulder.

I look at my own eyes in the mirror, taking a deep breath.

"We can do this," I murmur to myself before turning and leaving the bathroom.

As I turn out of my bedroom to go to breakfast, I run straight into Ivy.

"What happened to your hair?" she gasps, before her gaze lands on my bare arms. "Oh my god, what happened to your arm?"

"I cut my hair this morning," I tell her. Then, I say quieter, "And, Avery and I had a fight last night."

"And he put his hands on you?" she asks. "I swear, when I see him-"