Chapter 16

The rest of the day went by uneventfully, aside from getting knocked over by a horse and hitting my elbow on the floor. Everyone went on a trail ride, and Claire gave me a short lesson to help me learn to better control the horse because I obviously have a lot to learn

When I finally crawled into my bed at the end of the day, I fell asleep almost as soon as I hit the pillow.

---------------

The familiar sound of my phone alarm goes off, and I want so badly to ignore if. I could ignore it. I could go back to sleep and wake up around 8 like everyone else.

But I don't.

Reluctantly, I climb out of bed, changing quickly into a pair of ripped bootcut jeans and an off the shoulder, black sweatshirt that says 'I Don't Sweat, I Sparkle'. I start to examine myself in the mirror, before deciding that it's pointless, as I have no one to impress.

I tug on my black boots and head down the hall quietly, being careful not to make too much noise.

I glance at the clock on my phone: 5:25. God, it's too early.

I slip quietly out of the house, making my way to the barn. I reason that Avery must have turned the light on in there, as it's brightly illuminated.

When I reach the aisle way, I see Avery leaning against the stall across from Trigger's- if I remember right, that stall houses Piper's horse, Scylla, a gorgeous black beast.

"Morning," I yawn. He looks up at me, his eyes surprising alert.

"Morning," he replies, his voice void of emotion. I raise an eyebrow, but don't ask.

We stand there in an awkward silence for a moment before he beckons at me to follow him. He leads me to the tack room and digs through a collection of brushes, picking out a small selection.

"Why do we need brushes?" I question.

"You're going to try and groom Trigger," he states, shrugging his shoulders as if it were obvious.

I furrow my brow in confusion.

"What does grooming have to do with anything? I thought you were going to teach me to ride him."

Avery laughs tauntingly. "You can't just hop on him and expect everything to be okay. He has to trust you first. So you won't be riding Trigger today, or any day soon- unless you have a death wish."

My breathing hitches at his last few words. I had a death wish just a few weeks ago. When Chey died, there were times I wanted to slash my wrists and die right along with her.

There are still times, every so often, that I wish for the same thing.

"Are you okay? Your face is pale," Avery asks cooly. I almost swear I see a flash of concern in his eyes, but it's gone before I can really decide if it's truly there.

"I'm fine," I answer, recovering my usual confident self.

I follow Avery back to the Trigger's stall. He hands me the lead rope and unlatches the stall door. I notice him eyeing me uncertainly, not yet opening the door so I can go in.

"What?" I snap.

"I'm not sure if it's the best idea, you going in there with him in a confines space like a stall," he replies. "Maybe I should do it."

"I can handle myself," I defensively shoot back.

"Your funeral," he retorts, pulling the stall door open.

My breath hitches again. Does he even know the effect his statements are having on me? Painful memories flood through my brain, tossing me into a state of emotional vulnerability.