Chapter 28

Monday morning I wake up from a restless sleep. All night had consisted of me tossing and turning, unable to grasp the fact that today is my first day on set. Of course I also had to recognize that Theo will be my co-worker. And for the few hours on the job, I will have to put aside our differences and act like he didn't leave my house in the middle of the night. That in itself is an acting job harder than any I've had to face. But if I don't do it, I could lose my role.

The first few scenes are shot at Summit Studios. The rest we pack our stuff and head out to Chicago for. It'll be nice to work in a place so close to my home. Comfortable rather. Maybe I'll even be able to stay with Colin for that time.

Until then, I'll have to suck it up and remember that all of this is for my career. I will become famous after this movie. As long as I keep my eye on the prize, I can get though this.

The car ride to the studio is pure hyperventilation time. I got my truck back. Colin went out and found it for me. He paid to get it repaired and then bribed some mechanic to drive it all the way out to LA for me. It was his "please forgive me for kissing you" present.

The familiar bustling of people puts me at ease.

As soon as I walk through the door I am bombarded with men and women who shove me into a room for hair and makeup. For a good hour they primp and pamper me. By the time they are finished, I don't even look like myself anymore. The next hour is spent rehearsing the lines I already know by heart; it's the only thing I do in my immense downtime.

Finally it comes to be my turn. My scene is up. I fit into my character easily. It's almost as if I can mask who I am just by forming into this girl. By the time the scene is over I feel confident, proud. The director, who's name I can't recall, calls the take and I am done.

But as soon as I step off the platform. As soon as I step off set, I become Haley again. The girl who fits into the shell of everyone around her. The girl who couldn't harm a fly because there's too much hurt locked behind the steel trap that is her skin.

"Oh I'm sorry," says a voice so perfect I makes me blush. Mainly because the voice belongs to a girl.

I look up to see the girl who bumped into me. It is Shailene Woodley. Her hair is short now but that's not what I pay attention to. All I notice is the man behind her. The one who I used to be in love with.

I open my mouth to reply to her apology except I gape like an idiot. I had just spent several minutes with him on set yet, it's like that wasn't me at all.

Shailene interrupts my embarrassment by placing a hand on my shoulder and looking me earnestly in the eyes.

"I'm Shailene," she said slowly. Her voice raises in volume.

I grit my teeth. I may be standing here acting like I can't form words, but I'm not mentally disabled.

"I know," I say icily.

"But everyone calls me Shai so you can too. You're Hailey aren't you?" She smiles a little too sweetly.

"Haley," I correct. I get that my name isn't as common but it still irritates me beyond belief when someone gets it wrong.

"Oh right. I'm sorry."

I nod. "Well it's nice to meet you Shai. You did a great job out there."

She laughs a perfect bubbly laugh. I want to slap her. "Awh thank you. You did a great job too. What else have you been in? I have to look you up!"

I glance behind her at Theo. His eyes hold intensity that I can't place. But his posture is rigid. His face is placid.

"Actually, this is my debut film," I say quietly. Theo has taken my voice away.

"No way! Well for your first big gig you did great!"

I blush, "That means so much coming from you." And it really did. Shai is an actress I aspire to be someday.

"We should definitely get together sometime. Maybe we can run lines or something later this week."

"Yeah. Sure. That sounds fun."

Shailene turns around to Theo. She places a hand on his arm and smiles up at him. I go stale.

"You can come too, Theo."

His smile looks pained. "Sounds like fun."

The director calls out another scene title and gestures to Theo and Shailene to come to the set.

Shailene smiles apologetically at me. "I'm sorry. We've got to go. But it was nice meeting you Hailey!"

"Haley," I say in a monotone. But by the time I get the word out they are gone.

My job is done for today but I don't feel like going back home to my boring life. So instead I decide to stick around and watch for a little. They have me stand in the background, behind all the cameras and lights while they film a few scenes. As soon as my eyes land on Theo my heart stops.

I've never seen him in his true element. It feels like the first time I saw him all over again. I breathe in, as his familiar, yet foreign features scream to me. His hair is cropped, his arms are thick and warm. Only two nights ago I slept in those arms. His chest is broad, pecks sticking out from underneath the thin layer of shirt he wears. Only two nights ago I cried and bled on his chest. His eyes are soft, welcoming. Only two nights ago I looked into those eyes when he told me I was all he ever needed.

I hope you picked up on the past tense there.

It is quite obvious, as I become a spectator, that the look he shares with her is one not so easily created behind a mask of a character. That look, that glance, is all he ever used to look at me with. And as I stare, mesmerized by their chemistry, I realize that I am not all he ever needs.

She is.

Sorry for such a short chapter! it's been so long since I've updated and I owe you guys! Don't forget to comment and vote!!

QOTC

Have you ever fallen in love?