Chapter 6

The slam of the car door echoes throughout the property. However long that extends I'm not sure. From where I stand, the perfectly cropped grass seems to go on for acres. My first impression of Theo was right. He is one hell of a rich man. From what though? I'm not sure. Prying seems off limits.

Currently, I stand beside Theo's car with my arms limp at my side, admiring the miraculous structure before me. I'm so entranced that when Theo comes up behind me I do not hear him. Two hands pounce on my shoulders, startling me so incredibly, a shrill scream escapes my lips. I whip around and come face to face - well more like face to chest - with Theo. His laughter shakes his body, he's fighting for air. If only I wasn't mad, I would enjoy his bubbling perfect laughter.

"Haley," he chokes out, bending over, pressing his palms against his knees to prop himself up. He slaps a hand against my back, proceeding to sling an arm around me, "That made my day."

I grimace, "Check your facts Theo, it's night time."

Being stubborn, I scowl, pushing him off of me and walking towards the house. I hear shoes slap against pavement and soon he is next to me. "Haley it was a joke," he's laughs.

Little does he now how terrified I get when people do that. He doesn't understand. "You really scared me."

"C'mon Haley you really think someone would kidnap you?" he asks. I shrug, not wanting to give away anything that would make him asks questions about my fear. "Well, even if someone was attempting to harm you, I wouldn't let it happen."

I fight a smile. Something about the way he says it makes it impossible for my heart not to flutter, for my stomach not to do backflips. For some unknown reason, I believe him too. He still looks at me, closer than before. This time I know I am not imagining it. Except a staggered breath out of me causes him to snap back into reality and create distance between us.

That's when it hits me. What am I doing here? I'm sure Theo does not expect me to stay with him. But he progresses into the house, beckoning me to follow. I do without question. In some weird way I want him to ask me to stay.

The inside of the house is even more elegant than the exterior. "Woah," I gasp.

"Like it?" Theo looks proud. I would be too if I got to call as luxurious of a place mine.

"I-it's amazing. Do you live here all alone?" I ask.

Theo raises an eyebrow. "Why? Are you planning on murdering me?"

I laugh, a genuine laugh. "No of course not!"

He starts laughing too. He's staring at me funny. That of course makes me laugh harder. A shrill, happy sound. When I have finally quieted down Theo's still staring at me. A goofy smile is plastered on his face.

"You look happy," I tell him, walking closer and poking one of his prickly cheeks with my skinny finger. Before I can pull my hand away, he has snatched my finger in his warm hand. All the urge to touch him before courses through my being even though I already am in contact with him warm skin. Except this time, for explanations beyond my reasoning, I have to fight the impulse to stand on my tippy toes and press my lips to his. The thought terrifies me. How can I suddenly want to do this with a man I just met? What has overcome my judgement?

"You're one to talk," he whispers into my ear. Goosebumps arise all over my body. I have to pull my hand away to make sure he does not see.

Theo makes his way towards another part of his house. I follow suit. My brown sandals slap against the smooth wood floor. Suddenly I feel too underdressed to be standing in a place like this. My shorts are frayed along the edges and my white lace tank top all of a sudden seems too skimpy.

We walk into the kitchen. The counters are marble, there are two stainless steal refrigerators connected to a wall of wooden cabinets that match the floor paneling. A glass table rests on a steel structure on top of a teal and beige carpet. Though the place is enormous and grand, it is somehow welcoming. Yet it feels like no one has been here for a long time.

"You up for some pancakes?" Theo suggests, rummaging through the fridge.

He takes out a gallon of milk and two eggs. I notice a fowl odor. "Uhm, Theo? How old is that milk?"

Theo takes the cap off of the milk and puts it under his nose. Before he can even get a good whiff the scent has already traveled out and reached me. I cover my nose with my hand to suppress a gag. Theo acts like he's about to throw up. He races to the sink and holds the gallon upside down. The milk slithers out in a mold covered clump.

"I take it you haven't been home for a while."

"Apparently I forgot to clean out my refrigerator before I left."

I laugh at his idiocy before making my way to the fridge and opening it wide. I take a look around. The smell is disgusting. Examining the mess first, I then begin to empty the contents. Soon the whole marble counter is draped in rotten food items ranging from cheese, eggs, and meat, to leftover spaghetti and take out Chinese. The whole time I have been doing this Theo has been working on making us a meal from whatever food he can scavenge that has not rotted to the point of no consumption.

Something about being here in Theo's kitchen feels comfortable, almost normal. Me cleaning out the fridge and Theo cooking god knows what for us. It's a familiar feeling I have never experienced.

"Whola!" Theo exclaims before turning around from the stove with two steaming bowls of pasta in his hands. I chuckle before dropping the last rotten food item in a trash bag and tying it shut.

"It's official, your fridge is now completely empty!" I exclaim with fake enthusiasm.

"Now if the young lady would make her way to the table for a specially made gourmet meal," he ushers me to the table, setting the bowls down and pulling out my seat for me. I smile and sit down, though I am almost positive I am blushing.

He quickly runs and gets us forks. He folds two paper napkins in half and sets the silverware neatly on top of them.

"How old did you say you were?" he asks me, before opening up the other fridge which clinks as glass bangs against each other. I assume that is the 'beverage' fridge.

"I didn't. But I'm twenty-two."

His hands emerge with two blueberry twisted teas. He gets a bottle opener, the cap pops off with a clink as it falls to the glass table. Finally he is seated. I can see his feet through the glass. Both of us took off our shoes somewhere during the period of time we were preparing food and cleaning the kitchen. Something about looking at him with no shoes feels cozy.

We eat without chatter. For a simple bowl of pasta, it is pretty damn good. I am halfway done when I feel eyes on me. Theo's eyes meet mine. Instantly I become self conscious of how I am eating. I swallow my food and take a gulp of the wine cooler.

"What?" I ask as he continues to gaze at me.

He doesn't respond. Instead he shakes his head and looks down, fighting a smile. Great. I definitely did something to embarrass myself.

When we finish eating we take our dishes to the sink. I wash while Theo dries and puts away. After the last dish is put away, I sit at the counter. Theo comes across from me and leans against his elbows. His face has a peaceful serene look upon it.

"Ya know," he begins, as if he is debating what to say, "I could get used to this."

I could too.

QOTC (question of the chapter)

- If you had to undergo a fear landscape, what would be in it?