Chapter 4

"I'm on my way to LA," I inform him, limping to my truck. I wince in pain with each staggered movement.

His hand clutches my elbow steadying me. I smile gratefully at him before advancing to my car. With a sorrowful eye I reach my hand out and run it along my beloved vehicle. It is totaled. How could I have done this? I can't believe it.

Luckily the trunk where all my boxes are, isn't damaged. But now how am I going to be able to finish my journey to LA. I'll have to call Colin to pick me up and take me back home.

Colin answers on the first ring, "Is everything okay?" he questions immediately. He's a worry wart. Except this time he actually does have something to worry about. I regret calling immediately.

"I'm not sure exactly," I say, sneaking a glance at the man who claims himself to be Theo. He is a few feet away, examining my car.

"What happened? Where are you?" he inquires.

"Well, you see..." I don't know how to start. There's never a right way to tell your best friend you completely destroyed your car because you were too stubborn to pull over and sleep. "I kind of got into an accident."

"You what?! Haley are you okay? Where are you? I'm coming to get you," he panics.

"Colin, Colin calm down. I'm fine. I just dozed off sleeping that's all." To my left I see I have gained Theo's attention. He now stares at me, sending a shiver down my aching spine as his eyes pierce my own.

"Haley tell me where you are right now or I swear-"

"I said I am fine! I'm here with this man, he pulled me out of my car and-"

"This man?" Colin spits the words. I have never heard his voice so venomous before.

"Yes. Now shut up and let me speak. I can't drive my car anymore. There's no way. It's demolished. I was calling to ask for you to pick me up but I take it back. I simply can't ask you to do that. I'll just call a cab or something." Talking to Colin made me change my mind, knowing if he were to pick me up, our whole car ride would be him lecturing me about meeting strangers at gas stations.

"Haley I'll gladly come pick you up," he says. I know he will. Colin's never said no to anything I've asked him, other than moving to LA with me.

"Don't worry about it. I'll get a ride with this stranger," I smirk, hanging up the phone before he can respond.

Theo leans against my truck, staring at me with a raised eyebrow. Even in broad daylight he is absolutely striking.

"So you're hitching a ride with me now?" he questions, a small smile hides between his perfectly plump lips.

My cheeks grow hot and I sense I am blushing, "If you don't mind that is."

Theo sighs. "Normally I don't do this type of thing for strangers, but I'll make an exception because not only are we going to the same place, but you're clearly injured. After all, no person in their right mind would ask a stranger to drive them on a fifteen hour adventure."

"If you haven't noticed, I'm out of options," I remind him.

"Your boyfriend seemed to have no problem coming to get you," he gestures to my phone that hangs from my hand.

"My what?" Laughter bubbles up in my chest. Before I can choke it down a burst erupts.

"Colin," he says slowly, almost as if the word tastes sour in his mouth.

"Oh no, no, no. Colin is not my boyfriend. We're just friends," I wave my hands frantically.

Theo's eyebrows stay raised. "Whatever you say," he sing songs.

I roll my eyes, deciding against fighting this one. If he doesn't believe me who cares. It's not like this guy matters at all and neither does my relationship with Colin.

Theo moves, opening the back of my truck and unloading my boxes into his car. My fingers clutch the edges of one but as I lift it up his hand clamps down on my shoulder. "You're injured. Let me take care of this."

Theo pushes me aside and wraps his own hand around the box, placing it in his car. While he does that I notice there are suitcases in there already. Curious, I ask, "Where are you coming from?"

"Chicago."

The way he responds makes me get the sense he does not want to talk about it so instead I open the passenger door and slide into the comfort of the smooth interior. Something about the tinted windows and comfortable seats instantly makes me exhausted. Before my 'chauffeur' even gets in the car, I am asleep.