Chapter 14 - Free

When I was a child I expected the world to grant me a fairy tale life like the bedtime stories my mom use to read me every night before I went to sleep

When I was a child I expected the world to grant me a fairy tale life like the bedtime stories my mom use to read me every night before I went to sleep. After her stories my mind would race with different ideas on how I'm going to live when I grow up. A beautiful home that may not be as big as a castle but it'll be cozy. A lakeside view so on a hot summer day we could go swimming or sun tanning in our free time. My husband beside me as we watch our 2 kids play tag in the backyard with their cousins as our families get together for a holiday or just for fun.

A place where no one can judge us or hunt us for what we are. We would be free at creating new memories and being unbelievably proud of what we are that we would shout it every night if we could just to show that no one can tell us how we're monsters. We are not monsters because we think we're not. No one has the power to say that we are.

Of course, life doesn't always work out the way you wanted it to.

I still want those things. Maybe in another life I could have it but that doesn't mean that I can't fight for it now. Sometimes that's the only thing that keeps me going forward.

The life I possess could be worse. Some may not think that but it truly could be. I'm an orphan because of my sister but at least I still have a sister left. I have been wandering for years with the need for revenge slowly eating away at me but I learned valuable lessons.

I'm damaged. But you know what? I'm fine with that because the damaged people know how to survive.

So no. I don't have the life I always dreamed about but I wouldn't change this one. Despite lacking the lakeside house with no hunters or other supernatural creature, I have a family. That's the only thing that matters to me.

I am free.

I smile against the wind while it scatters the dead leaves on the forest floor in front of the old abandoned house. The house gives out creaks of distress from the sudden pressure but its strong and gives no sign of breaking down in a hep around me. If it stood tall this many years while being abandoned then a little wind won't hurt it. It's a depressing thought that the house stood longer than the previous family who owned it. All that's left of the family is two damaged she-wolves with a foot fetish.

A tapping sound raps against one of the windows on the 2nd story and my head tilts back to watch the branch from a large oak tree blow in the breeze and make contact with it. The same oak tree that has a grave of someone that was once important to many people buried there. Now she's important to little if any.

A puff a steam exits out of my mouth when the warm breath hits the cold air.

What is it about this place that makes it so peaceful to me? Is it the remembrance of the past when everything was good? That back then I knew that even the strongest and darkest of storms would eventually pass?

I was such a naive little girl back then.

The puffy white clouds move eastward in the breeze and the clear air is something you don't smell in the cities. That's why I like Beacon Hills. You're closer to nature and its peaceful sometimes. It's supposed to be a quiet town but I guess it is to the humans.

To busy enjoying the sounds of birds I hardly notice when a branch snaps from the side of the two story house when a werewolf walks up.

When he comes into view I greet him with a grin on my lips. He's as tall as a building but I guess that has more to do with me sitting on the stairs.

"Kira told me you might be here" Derek comes closer and I scoot over so he can sit with me.

Kira never comes here. I don't know if its more about Kali being buried here, her not wanting to remember anything from her past, or her not remembering this place. She was young when we moved away so she could not remember. If she did then she keeps it to herself and never talks about it.

When he sits down next to me the stairs let out a creak at the new weight. Derek glances up at the house with a small grin on his own face. "I haven't been to this place in forever it seems."

I hum and nod my head "it's peaceful to me and I need some peace right now"

Derek looks at me intently like he just read my mind "Stiles disappearing isn't your fault" he tries to make me feel better but I know what I've done. I broke my promise.

"He's been gone for two days, Derek." I tell him but he already knows. We've all tried looking for him but he's no where to be found. Not even the wolves can sniff him out.

Derek grabs my hand in his and at the slight interaction has my heart beating faster.

"He'll show up again. Don't worry" Derek mutters so surely.

What if he doesn't? A large sigh heavies my chest up and down. This town is always strange.

"What about Isaac?" I suddenly remember the curly haired boy. I've been too focused on Stiles that i totally forgot that he was shocked nearly to death in the hospital parking lot. There was a loose wire that the possessed Stiles set free and it got Isaac before the kitsune stepped in and absorbed it through her hands. Freaky, I know. That's what caused the blackout that lasted about half the night. Last time I saw Kira aka the thunder fox apparently I gave her a sarcastic thumbs up.

I don't think she likes me all that much. I mean girls tend to not like me anyway so there's nothing really new in that department. It might have not helped that our first encounter (like my other first encounter with nearly everyone here) didn't go smoothly. I did roar in the poor girl's face but hey, I saved her life and does that not count for anything? 

"Melissa told me that he's in critical condition" Derek answers me and his hand tightens "I don't really know what that means but the shock was at a high enough voltage that it disabled his healing powers"

Just like that my peace is tainted.

"We're up shit creek without a paddle" I mutter what my mom use to say when she got into a sticky situation. When I see the amused expression on his face I give him a look. "This is serious" I use my whining tone which makes him chuckle.

His green eyes stare at me with laughter in them. The smile on his lips is contagious and I find myself smiling back at him.

My anger at him is forgotten in the breeze and it feels like old times when our teenage selves use to sit on the porch of mine or his house. Years later here we are again. Something that I didn't think would ever happen again.

I lay my head on his shoulder and wrap my arms around him to pull me closer to him. He seemed to be hesitant about getting close to me. Probably because last time I growled at him but whatever. He takes this as a good sign and slides his hand to my thigh and rubbed circles there. The touch scorches me but relaxes me at the same time.

"Soon this will all be over" his breath fans my face and sends a shutter down my spine. "And I promise not to leave you again"

I don't know where he was when he left but hearing that makes me not care any more. Just having this moment, with him, seems worth while.

Some people are able to find happiness in misery.

"I'm going to hold you to that" I grin teasingly up at him.

He leans closer and kisses me in a soft but sweet kiss that makes goosebumps appear on my arms.

His soothing may have worked now but I have a feeling that this is just the beginning of a storm. A storm that will either break us or destroy us. Either way I don't believe this storm will come without a price.

*******

It's been forever, I know and this is a sorta okay chapter, I know that too. It's just a filler since I thought Katerina and Derek have had barely any time together.

I just lost my inspiration for writing this story so sorry and I blame that for not updating in months. But I'm not going to stop writing this story the updates may take longer but I'll inform you if I ever decide such a fate for my book.

Please, Vote, Comment, Fan my Lovelies!!