Chapter 6 - Hell's Day

The wind laps over me and sends a shiver running through my body

The wind laps over me and sends a shiver running through my body. I feel ice cold inside and out. I didn't know it could get to be this cold at night in California. That's if even I'm still in California. These woods look like it and resemblance it in a way. There's nothing that confirms it. 

I gaze around at my surroundings. The darkness of the night blinds me and only the full moon above me is my light. It allows me to see what it wants and it isn't much. Outlines of the trees and bushes around me is the only thing in the darkness that I can kind of make out. This darkness seems to go on for miles and miles and it chills me slightly.

My dark hair blows behind me and my arms wrap around me to keep warm. My body reacts to the new sensation before my mind even begins to process it. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up and my body tenses. I can feel my heartbeat pounding in my ears and it's faster than I ever heard it.

The sensation of eyes on me is unsettling. I can't see it. I can't hear it. I can't smell it. So how do I know I'm being watched? I have no idea. I just know and it makes a shudder of fear race up my spine like I'm suppose to be afraid of it. Which I am. I have no idea what or who this thing is and my eyes gaze around but don't find a single clue to pinpoint where it is.

My head snaps to the side when I hear a branch snap and a thundering growl that makes my body tremble. I figure out many things at once when I process that sound. 1, That is most certainly not a human. 2, This rabid thing is stalking me. It's the hunter and I'm it's prey. 3, The growl is enough for me to be scared to my bone from this thing.

The wind hits me again and my eyes flicker everywhere to find this thing but the darkness is too much. I couldn't find it even if I tried. 

A whimper escapes my lips and I whirl around when I hear the bushes behind me rustle but when I looked at it nothing is there and I'm left to question weather this thing wants to kill me or play with me. Considering I'm not dead yet I assume it wants a toy to play with meaning me. 

My heartbeat goes faster and I can feel the blood in my veins freeze. The fear that makes my body tremble spikes upward and my body shakes harder to the point where it's so strong I nearly fall over. I throw my head back and look at the bright full moon above me and pray that this will all be over. 

In my world, full moons are the most powerful source of energy. It takes up the night sky and it shines down on all of us with a trance. It makes the sanest people go mad. Makes people turn into animals. Full moon's can change everything.

The breath leaves my lungs and my silent plies for help are cut short when ever so slowly the moon turns a blood red. The color change tells me that I'm on my own and nothing can save me.

I jump out of my skin when I hear a snarl behind me and I don't bother to turn around to look at my stalker, I propel myself forward. I take off into the darkness of the woods as they turn into a red tint from the moon. My arms pump at my sides and my legs carry me as fast as I can manage. My hand whacks a branch out of my way and I carry my legs high so they don't catch on weeds or a root.