Chapter 8 - Truths

The cold, wet parking lot is cold on my bare feet as I make my way to the building

The cold, wet parking lot is cold on my bare feet as I make my way to the building. An internal argument going on inside my head makes me either want to continue my journey or walk away. It's something I have to do I know that but I doubt he'd even help me. We really didn't start and end on good terms considering I was with the alpha pack at the time.

If he doesn't help me then I'll make him, I muse in my head.

I didn't believe my own words. I've rarely been around his kind since me nor Kali and Kira liked them. I've seen some but there so monotone that I don't bother talking to them. I have a rough past with his kind and I wouldn't be doing this if I had another way but in all honesty I don't. These night terror's have gotten so bad that I try keeping myself up at night and everyone can obviously tell.

My eyes carry dark bags under them and I'm as pale as a sheet. The way I used to carry myself was with a bold, confident, sassy edge but now I'm shuffling like a penguin. My muscles are slack and I feel like I'm walking on a cloud. The energy draining away each day makes me cranky. If I'm tired or hungry then you better bet I'm cranky.

Being a tired alpha female makes a big difference. Things slide by me that I would normally take notice in. The sudden sounds and smells. Being a hated alpha with 2 hated beta's in my pack means I have to be at my best all the time or else I'm an easy target. When you take down the alpha then it's easy to take down it's pack. I would fight till my death before some one harmed my pack but in this state I'm in it wouldn't take long to defeat me. No matter how badass I claim to be I'm not a machine. Everyone can be beaten, look at the alpha pack for example.

I swing the door open and the bell chimes at my arrival. The scent of dog and cat hits me and when I walk through the threshold I can hear them go crazy. In the back of the building I can hear the barking and whimpering from the dogs and the cat's hissing and snarling.

I sense the presence of the emissary in the other room as I close the door behind me. The warm air conditioning feels good against my icy skin. I hear his footsteps come closer until he appears at the doorway behind his counter. He looks the same as I last saw him. Dark eyes that hold knowledge and match his dark skin. His white coat stretches to his knees with the name tag saying Dr. Deaton on it. His serious visage doesn't show any emotion when he sees me.

I think back to when I first met him forever ago it seems. When I crushed Ennis's skull like grape. Fun times they were.

"I thought you left town" He breaks the silence by saying in that monotone voice. Just the voice that every emissary uses makes annoyance bubble up within me.

I make sure to level out the annoyance before I speak. After all I do need his help. "found something worth staying for" I reply with a small smile that's barley noticeable before I turn it back to a serious  frown.

"Why are you here?" he asks.

I sigh out a large breath before setting my stubbornness aside. The words are acid in my mouth and I can't help but spit them out rabidly. "I need your help.