The Best(?) Birthday

I was a blushing and giggling mess the rest of the night. As I bid goodnight to the guests as they left, I could feel Peggy and Eliza's stares burning into my back. I snuck a quick glance at them, and caught them looking at me with identical grins that were almost creepy. I squeaked and dashed all the way to my room, my cousins' giggles echoing after me.

    Needless to say, I was quite heavily interrogated the following morning. They bombarded me with question after question, mainly concerning the "handsome soldier" I'd danced with. The looks on their faces were rather hysterical when I told them his full name.

    "Marie-Joseph Paul Y-what now?!" Peggy questioned.

    "Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette," I repeated, failing miserably to contain my laughter. "Feel free to skip to just 'Gilbert du Motier. He prefers to just go by Lafayette, though." They just stared at me blankly. I laughed and excused myself for a moment.

    I made a quick trip to the kitchen and prepared some nice Earl Grey. When I returned to the parlor with my teacup, Eliza had left. Peggy was flipping through a random pamphlet. She didn't look up at me until I'd been staring at her for about five minutes, just sipping my tea.

    "What?" she huffed. I just looked at her expectantly. She squinted and gave me a look that said, "Well?!"

   "I'm still waiting," I said.

    "Waiting for what?"

    "Gee, I don't know.... for someone to wish me a happy birthday?"

    "Eh???? Today's not your birthday.....?" I stared at her incredulously. Slowly, her expression changed from confused to realization to horror. "OH MY GOD! IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY! ELLLIIIIZAAAAAA!!!!"

    There was the sound of footsteps running down the hall, and within seconds Eliza appeared in the doorway, eyes wide and out of breath.

    "What?! What is it?! she panted. Peggy lept to her feet and started flailing an arm in my direction.

    "TODAY'S EVIE'S BIRTHDAY!!!" she screamed. There was a brief moment of silence, then Eliza was screaming too.

    "WHAT?!?! I THOUGHT IT WAS TOMORROW?!?!"

    "SO DID I!"

    "YOU MEAN WE'VE HAD THE WRONG DATE MARKED ALL THESE YEARS?!"

    "IT WOULD SEEM SO!!!"

    "Wait, you thought my birthday was tomorrow?" I questioned, my emotions a mix of amusement and disbelief. My cousins hung their heads and nodded solemnly.

    "Yes, I'm so sorry!" Eliza sobbed. "We were going to throw you a little party; I was going to bake a cake... We don't have anything prepared except presents...."

    "We're so sorry, Evie!" Peggy cried. "There must have been some sort of mix-up years ago. We had no idea your birthday was actually today."

    "Hey, hey, it's ok," I said softly, pulling her into a reassuring hug. "At least we've cleared the matter now."

    "Happy birthday," Eliza peeped as I hugged her as well.

    "Thank you," I giggled. Just then, there was a knock on the door. The three of us shared confused glances. "Were we expecting guests?" I asked. Eliza shook her head and Peggy shrugged. Suddenly, our butler appeared in the doorway.

    "My Ladies, General Washington is at the door," he said. Gasps escaped us in unison.

    "Oh my! Please, bring him in!" Eliza exclaimed.

    "Yes, Ms. Eliza." He bowed and disappeared. A few moments later, General Washington entered the parlor, carrying a large sack over his shoulder.

    "Good morning, General!" I greeted him, curtsying. Eliza and Peggy followed suit. "To what do we owe the pleasure of your visit?"

    "Good morning, ladies," he replied, his voice a bit weary but cheerful. He turned to me, and a wide smile crossed his face. "My business here is actually about you, Ms. Shelby!"

   "M-Me?" I blinked a few times. "Have... Have I done something wrong, sir?"

    "Oh no! No, no, no. Don't worry, my dear; you've done nothing." He slung the sack off his shoulder and handed it to me. "It might be easier if you just see for yourself," he said.

    I peeked inside the sack. Inside were several brown packages. On the few that we're on the very top of the heap, I could see that each one was labeled with writing. For one, I was able to make out:

    "To: My Dearest Evie
     From: Your Dearest Alexander"

    "No way," I began slowly. "These aren't-?!"

    "They are," Washington replied. "You see, I ordered my troops not to go beyond a mile radius of the camp...." He sighed and rubbed his temple. "So last night, Hamilton and his... companions... came to me, presents in hand, and practically begged me to deliver these to you."

    "My God," Peggy gasped, looking in the sack. "Evie, how exactly did a bunch of soldiers know your birthday?!"

    "I must have mentioned it in one of my letters," I mumbled. "I never imagined they would actually give me gifts..."

    "Those boys seem to be quite fond of you," Washington hummed. "Though, if I may give you some advice, my dear: Try not to let this knowledge spread beyond the confines of this house. Rumors of a group of soldiers sending the same young woman gifts would not have such a positive effect on that woman's reputation."

    "Yes, of course," I agreed, clasping my hands together. "Thank you, General. Words cannot express how much thus means to me."

   "You're welcome," he responded. "I best be returning to my men. It's always a dangerous risk leaving, and I don't just mean because there might be an attack..." He started to leave, but came to a halt after only taking a few steps.

    "Oh, I almost forgot..." He turned back to me, reaching into his coat. "Here, this is also for you." He pulled out a slim envelope and handed it to me. "Happy birthday, dear.

    "Thank you, sir."

    "Now, I really must be off. Good day, ladies." With that, he left the house without another word. A full minute passed before any of us even moved.

    "Well," Eliza finally said, breaking the silence. "That was... unexpected." I simply nodded in agreement.

    "Hmmmm, I don't know about yoouuu," Peggy drawled, a playful grin blossoming across her face. "But I'm very interested as to what those soldier boys gave Evie for her birthday!"

    "As I am," I agreed. Eliza nodded furiously. "Surrender the sack! I've got presents to open!"