Chapter 18: The Trapdoor

A/N: I am SO SORRY!!!! uhm wow, there are not enough words to express how sorry I am for not updating in forever! Life has pretty much slapped me in the face, tripped me, and then kicked me while I was down. Between now and the when I posted the last chapter, I have lost my cat that I have had for over twelve years. I spent over two weeks trying to nurse him back to health by syringe feeding him and giving him four different types of medication three times a day. Sadly he didn't make it :'(  After that I started my senior year of High School and I will just say my classes are kicking my butt, especially Chemistry -__- Anywho this chapter really sucks but I hope you enjoy it. :) 

Chapter 18: The Trapdoor

I carefully made my way up to the third floor corridor. It was a slow process for I had to walk as quietly as possible and every once in a while I stopped to listen for footsteps. When I reached my destination, the door to the third floor corridor was slightly ajar and Harry, Ron, and Hermione were nowhere to be seen.

I waited outside of the door for a few minutes until I heard footsteps. I looked around but saw no one. The footsteps got closer and closer until they stopped inches away from where I was standing. My heart rate accelerated. Suddenly Harry, Ron, and Hermione appeared right in front of me. I jumped back, and almost screamed, but I was able to stop the sound from escaping my throat.

"Sorry, I should have warned you that we had my invisibility cloak on." Harry said.

Then he spoke to all three of us. "If you want to go back, I won't blame you. You can take the cloak, I won't need it now. "

"Don't be stupid, " Ron said.

"We're coming, " Said Hermione.

Harry pushed the door open. As the door creaked open, we all heard low, rumbling growls. In the centre of the room stood a large dog. It was not just any dog though, it had three heads, all of which were sniffing madly in our direction. This must be Fluffy. It was standing over a trapdoor. Next to it's front paws was some sort of metal object. I couldn't make out what it was.

"What's that at its feet?" I whispered.

"Looks like a harp, " said Ron. "Snape must have left it there."

"It must wake up the moment you stop playing, " said Harry. "Well, here goes... "

Harry pulled out a flute from his pocket and put it to his lips and blew. As soon as he began playing, Fluffy's eyes began to droop, and moments later, the three-headed dog was laying on the floor fast asleep.

"Keep playing." Ron told Harry, as all four of us crept towards the trapdoor.

"I think we'll be able to pull the door open," Ron said. "Want to go first, Hermione?"

"No, I don't!" Hermione said.

"How about you, Mason?" Ron spat.

I shook my head.

"All right." He said and bent down to open the trapdoor.

"What can you see?" Hermione asked.

"Nothing - just black - there's no way of climbing down, we'll just have to drop."

Harry began to wave frantically at Ron to get his attention. Once Ron's eyes turned to Harry, Harry pointed to himself.

"You want to go first? Are you sure?" Ron said. "I don't know how deep this thing goes. Give the flute to Hermione so she can keep him asleep."

Harry handed the flute over to Hermione, who immediately began playing. In the brief moment of silence, Fluffy twitched an growled but soon went back to sleep when Hermione started playing. Harry peered down through the trapdoor, then he sat down on the edge with his feet dangling into the dark hole.