Chapter 7: Friends?

Chapter 7: Friends?

The weekend started early for me. I woke up and got ready before anyone else. It was 7:30 AM when I slipped out of the Slytherin Common room and made my way up to the library to work on homework. There was only one other student in the library, Hermione, the girl who had sat next to me yesterday morning in potions. 

I made my way over to her table and she looked up at me from her own homework and gave me a friendly smile.

"Good morning." She said.

"Morning." I replied with a yawn. "Mind if I sit with you?" I asked. 

"No, not at all. I'm Hermione Granger, by the way." She said, sticking out her hand. 

"Mirabella Mason." I took her hand and then sat down across from her. 

We spent the next couple hours doing homework and chatting. I learned that she was also new to the Wizarding world and like me, didn't have many friends here. 

We were talking about our favorite classes when a group of people approached our table. I looked up to see Malfoy followed by Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy, Daphne, Millicent, and Tracey. Tracey looked uncomfortable being here, but she made no move to leave.   

"I don't know what I'm more disgusted by," Malfoy said, "The fact that a Slytherin is friends with a Gryffindor, or the fact that there are two Mudblood's in the room."

Then Malfoy and his gang started sniggering, well except for Tracey who smirked but it did not reach her eyes. 

"Lay off, Malfoy." Hermione said. 

"That's no way to talk to your superior, Granger." Malfoy sneered. 

I was sick of Malfoy's rude comments. 

"Malfoy, the only thing you are superior to is a slug. Maybe not even that." I snapped at him. Normally I would just ignore him, but I had no tolerance for him insulting one of my only friends here. 

He looked a bit taken aback, probably because I have never retaliated before, but he quickly regained his smug expression and said, "Look who's talking, Mason. Filthy Mudblood's make slugs look attractive in comparison." 

Once again, the gang of Slytherin's laughed, and Tracey looked like she just wanted to leave. I was about to retort when Hermione said, "Come on Mira, just ignore him."

She waved her wand, packing our supplies, and then grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the library. Once we were in the corridor I said, "God, I hate him!"

"I know, me too. He's a git, but it's better if you ignore him." She said.

"I usually do, but I can't stand it when he insults my friends."

She smiled and then said, "So I take it that you want to be friends?"

I smirked and said, "Well you already are my friend, whether you like it or not." 

"I see that I have no choice in this matter." She said, jokingly. 

"No, no you don't." 

We both laughed and wandered around the castle for the next hour, waiting for lunch to start. We made our way towards the Great Hall and once inside Hermione said, "Would you like to sit with me at the Gryffindor table? I've noticed that you don't really fit in with the other Slytherin's and it's no fun sitting alone." 

"Am I allowed to sit there? From what I noticed the Gryffindor's aren't to fond of the Slytherin's." I said. 

"Well you aren't like most Slytherin's. And as far as being allowed to sit there, I don't see why it would be a problem. What do you say?"