Chapter 27 - The Runner

Start from the beginning

When Denton turned the corner, the man was standing on the edge of the roof, alternately looking down and over his shoulder at Leah. Leah stood a few yards behind him, the gun in one hand, her other hand outstretched in a plea.

"Don't be stupid, just step down from there."

"Why? I'm not going to jail," the man yelled over his shoulder. "Leave me alone."

"We just want to talk."

"Sure you do. You all say that. No-one ever comes back," he yelled and looked down, his knees bent, his eyes darting back to Leah and then to whatever was down below as if evaluating his chances.

Leah took a tentative step forward and holstered her gun, her other hand still outstretched. The man squinted his eyes, and in one swift move disappeared over the edge.

"No!" Leah yelled and stumbled forward to the edge, followed closely by Denton. Her surprised faced turned to relief as she gazed over the edge. Ten feet below, the man got to his feet and limped across the flat roof of the adjoining building.

"Come, we can't lose him now," Leah said and jumped over the edge. Denton hesitated for a moment and then followed. As he landed, he rolled just like the trainers at the academy had taught him and in one swift motion continued onto his feet. As he chased after Leah, he tapped his earpiece. "Tanner, are you tracking?"

"Yes, I've got you all on screen," he said immediately.

"Ok good, stand by," Denton said and ran after Leah across the roof, through puddles and piles of old debris. Their target had already disappeared down the fire escape on the other side of the roof. They couldn't afford to lose him now. Leah and Denton followed, taking the rickety stairs two steps at a time. Somehow, despite what appeared to be a twisted ankle, the man managed to keep his distance during their race down the stairs and reached the ground before Denton and Leah could catch him. As he jumped off of the stairs with a glance over his shoulders, a smirk on his lips, he slipped in the mud and slid to a halt in a puddle. He struggled to get back on his feet when Leah and Denton caught up with him. They grabbed one arm each and pulled him to his feet.

"Going somewhere?" Denton asked with a grin, the rain dripping from his hair. "We've got some catching up to do.

~~~

Back inside the apartment, the young man sat down on the couch in the living room of his apartment. A small table in front of the couch, and the floor underneath, was littered with leftover food and empty mugs. His eyes darted back and forth between Leah and Denton, who took a seat in a chair across from him.

"Wha, what do you want?' he squeaked out. "I don't have money if that's what you're looking for."

"Don't talk," Leah said and closed the door to the outside, pulled the curtains close. "Why would we come here if we were looking for money?" She remained by the curtains, keeping an eye out for any suspicious movements outside.

"Eh, no, just me. I'm the only one," the man offered. "Everybody sticks to themselves, we don't get into each other's business."

"That's good to know, assuming you're telling the truth. What's your name?" Leah asked and sat down on the other end of the couch.

"Simmons," the man said quickly and nodded. "Sidney Simmons."

"Sidney Simmons," Leah repeated slowly as if tasting the name on her tongue.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Sidney asked.

"I'm Commander Connor and this," Leah said and pointed towards Denton, "is my colleague Denton Staxx from Proxima b."